Pacific Northwest Dental Hygiene Institute - Overview
- PNWDHI courses currently are offered only for licensed* Dental Hygienists or Dentists wishing to improve their skills in Nitrous Oxide Sedation, Local Anesthesia and/or Restorative Expanded Functions; and licensed* Dental Hygienists or recent graduates preparing for regional board examinations. *This requires a current license, however does not require a Washington license.
- Participants must be able to provide documentation of their dental hygiene or dental degree from an accredited (Commission on Dental Accreditation in the USA or equivalent international credentials) dental hygiene or dental program. Dental hygiene students yet to complete their degree must provide verification of expected graduation from the program director. This includes international students.
- If you are currently an International Student enrolled in a USA or Canadian accredited dental hygiene or dental program, we will accept you as a student in the PNWDHI based on your currently approved international student status at the other institution.
- The student must be able to provide evidence of Hepatitis B (HBV) vaccination or titer of HBV status of Hepatitis B surface antigen, and have a Tuberculosis Skin Test (PPD) within the past six (6) months or if the Tuberculosis (TB) Skin Test is positive, a physician letter indicating the student’s TB status.
- The courses offered in the Pacific Northwest Dental Hygiene Institute are a combination of online pre-study, lecture, lab, and clinical applications. To succeed in these courses, you must have adequate pre-knowledge in the following dental hygiene subject areas:
- Pharmacology, head and neck anatomy
- Background in dental anatomy and dental materials
- Basic dental hygiene skills
- Basic computer skills (email, file management and downloads)
Required pre-study course assignments and materials for all courses are distributed via the online Learning Management System.
Each Pacific Northwest Dental Hygiene Institute course is a “compacted” version of the regular dental hygiene program curriculum. It is fast paced and intensive; you must come prepared having completed all assigned reading and homework. To successfully complete the course and receive certificates you must demonstrate clinical and didactic competence.