Dental Hygiene Department - Mission, Vision & Goals
Pierce College Dental Hygiene Mission Statement
The Pierce College Dental Hygiene Program prepares learners for the privilege and responsibility to practice in the profession of Dental Hygiene. This preparation focuses on essential competencies for the successful practice of the profession, inspires lifelong learning, and service to the community.
Dental Hygiene Program Goals
- Students will successfully meet the essential competencies and student outcomes as outlined in the Pierce College Dental Hygiene Student Handbook titled Competencies for Dental Hygiene and the Pierce College Course Outcomes and syllabi objectives.
- Graduates will be prepared academically and clinically to successfully pass any dental hygiene licensing examination given in the United States.
- Graduates will provide quality, evidence-based, client-centered dental hygiene services.
- Graduates will demonstrate professionalism in all aspects of their education and dental hygiene careers.
- Graduates will successfully demonstrate the Five Pierce College Core Abilities.
- Clients/consumers will receive quality dental hygiene services and be satisfied with the services rendered.
- Faculty will regularly review curriculum and use evidence-based research as a basis for curricular changes and updates.
- Faculty will commit to continual professional development to enhance dental hygiene academic quality, and provide the best and technologically sound educational environment for successful student learning.
- Affiliates and community organizations will have collegial and professional experiences when interacting with the dental hygiene program faculty, staff, and students.
- The curriculum will provide an academic basis which facilitates articulation with other educational programs and from which graduates may progress toward additional academic advancement.
*The Commission on Dental Accreditation will review complaints that relate to a program's compliance with the accreditation standards. The Commission is interested in the sustained quality and continued improvement of dental and dental-related education programs, but does not intervene on behalf of individuals or act as a court of appeal for individuals in matters of admission, appointment, promotion or dismissal of faculty, staff or students. A copy of the appropriate accreditation standards and/or the Commission's policy and procedure for submission of complaints may be obtained by contacting the Commission at 211 East Chicago Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611, or by calling 1-800-621-8099 extension 2719.
DH Program Advising Information
Fulltime Dental Hygiene Faculty
R.D.H., B.S., M.Ed.
Program Director/Fulltime Professor
Kathy B. Bassett
BSDH, RDH, M.Ed.
Fulltime Professor/Risk Management Officer
RDH, BS, MHA
Fulltime Professor/Community Health and Extramurals
Carolyn D. Roberton
Student Chapter of ADHA
Pierce College Fort Steilacoom
Dental Hygiene Department
9401 Farwest Drive SW
Lakewood, WA 98498-1999