Nursing Department - Prerequisite Requirements
Please see the Course Equivalency Chart in the nursing information packet for course transferability from other Washington State schools. For credits earned outside Washington State or courses not listed on the Course Equivalency Chart, please contact the nursing program office to obtain the proper waivers well in advance of applying to the nursing program. Note: These courses have other pre-requisites that cannot be waived ie. Chem&100, Psych&100, Biol&160 and a possible Math or English series. Please work closely with the nursing advisor.
- CHEM& 121 - Inorganic Chemistry
- BIOL& 241 - Anatomy and Physiology I Lecture and Lab
- BIOL& 242 - Anatomy and Physiology II Lecture and Lab
- BIOL& 260 - General Microbiology
- ENGL& 101 - English Composition I
- PSYCH& 200- Developmental Lifespan Psychology
- Exception: the 7-year limitation for English& 101 and Psych& 200 may be waived if the course was taken as part of a completed degree in an accredited program.
- Students will be allowed one repeat of each course during the past 7 years. Courses with a 'W' (withdrawl) are considered part of the repeat policy.
- Applicants must earn a 3.0 (B) or better in each course
- Courses must have been taken within the last 7 years of application date
Applicants who complete the following transfer-ready courses with a minimum 2.0 "C" grade will gain 2 extra points each (for a total of 4) in the application process:
- Math& 146 - Intro to Statistics (taken within the last 10 years of application date)
- World Languages - 10 college credits, or 2 years High School (of the same language with a passing grade), or Native Speaker* (*see advisor for details)
(adds one extra point each in the application process)
- Chem& 131 - Intro to Organic and Biochemistry
- Applicants must earn a 2.0 of better in Chem&131
- The Chem&131 course must have been taken within 7 years of the application date.
- NAC (Nursing Assisitant Certified) with an active license is strongly recommended. However, no extra points will be awarded.
Any information provided is subject to change without notice. Please keep abreast of department changes by visiting your advisor regularly, attending information sessions and visiting the program website often.
Details of Pre-Nursing Courses and Admission Requirements
A background in the basic sciences, along with general education college courses, is essential to prepare a student to succeed in the Nursing Program. It is critical that you work closely with an advisor in order to be fully prepared. Please read all the information carefully and make a list of your questions to ask your advisor. Assessment (ASSET or COMPASS) test scores and/or all unofficial transcripts are needed prior to the advising appointment.
Notes on the above requirements:
- All minimum qualification requirements must EACH be completed with a minimum grade of 3.0. Some colleges separate the lecture and the lab components of their science classes. If so, these will be treated individually and each must be 3.0 or above.
- All courses must have been successfully completed within 7 years of the application deadline. (Exception: the 7-year limitation for Eng& 101 and Psych& 200 may be waived if the course was taken as part of a completed degree in an accredited program.)
- Waivers are not awarded for any of the above science requirements.
Important notes on all prerequisite requirements:
- Only the grades in these required courses or their equivalents will be considered.
- Successful completion of the required prerequisites does NOT guarantee admission to the Nursing Program.
- Only ONE repeat of a required prerequisite course will be accepted. A 'W' (withdrawl) will count as a 'take' in our report policy.
- It is the responsibility of the applicant to obtain any waivers that may be applicable prior to the Phase I application deadline. Please do not wait till the last minute to do so, as this may take some time.
Allied Health Manager
P/T Office Assistant
Nursing Faculty, Clinical Liaison
This nursing program is accredited by:
Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing, Inc.
3343 Peachtree Rd. NE
Atlanta, GA 30326