Physical Therapist Assistant - Program Outcomes
Program Outcomes (Whatcom Community College)
- Provide physical therapy services as specified in the plan of care developed by the physical therapist which includes:
- Preparing patient treatment areas and equipment.
- Implementing treatment programs that include:
- Therapeutic exercise
- Gait training and techniques
- ADL training
- Administration of:
- Therapeutic Electrical Current
- Pulmonary Hygiene
- Therapeutic Massage
- Performance of intermittent venous compression
- Application of traction
- Application of external bandages, dressings, and supports
- Performance of goniometric measurements and assessment of strength
- Wound care
- Modifying treatment techniques as indicated in the plan of care.
- Integrate the knowledge of the sciences and theory with each skill to effectively administer the treatment.
- Perform limited assessment with patients including goniometry, manual muscle testing and sensory testing.
- Respond to acute changes in physiological state.
- Document the patient's treatment and response to treatment in the patient record.
- Teach other health care providers, patients and families to perform selected treatment procedures and functional activities.
- Identify architectural barriers.
- Interact with patients and families in a manner which provides the desired psychosocial support by:
- Recognizing his/her own reaction to illness and disability.
- Recognizing patients' and families' reactions to illness and disability.
- Respecting individual cultural, religious and socioeconomic differences in people.
- Utilizing appropriate communicative processes.
- Using creative problem-solving skills in order to facilitate the patient's return to function.
- Demonstrate appropriate and effective written, oral and nonverbal communication with patients and their families, colleagues and the public.
- Recognize his/her own strengths and limitations and interpret for others his/her scope and function.
- Demonstrate safe, ethical and legal practice.
- Understand the basic concepts related to the health care system including multidisciplinary team approach, quality care, governmental agencies, private sector, role of other health care providers, health care facilities, issues and problems.
- Understand basic principles of levels of authority and responsibility, planning, time management, supervisory process, performance evaluations, policies, procedures and fiscal considerations.
- Demonstrate understanding of the role of the physical therapist assistant in functioning within the plan of care developed by the physical therapist.
- Demonstrate dedication to physical activity as part of an overall personal wellness program.
Kinesiology and Physical Therapy Assistant Program Coordinator
Whatcom Community College Advisors