Advising - Careers and Majors
Many students begin college while they are still unsure of what they want to study or major in, what career they want to prepare for, and how careers and college majors connect.
For these students, we strongly encourage them to begin their career development and research immediately. This is important for the following reasons:
- Research may be time-consuming.
- Some transfer or career training programs may require prerequisite coursework.
- The financial aid process can be lengthy.
- Allowing ample time to consider and make wise choices reduces stress and may save time and money.
The following services and resources are available to Pierce College students:
Pierce College's faculty counselor advisors are skilled at administering and interpreting a range of career assessments. Many students find the experience very helpful. Contact the Welcome Center at Pierce Fort Steilacoom or the Advising Center at Pierce Puyallup for more information and to make an appointment with a faculty counselor advisor.
Pierce College offers a number of courses that can help students identify a college major, program of study, or career (Note: Students receiving financial assistance will need to check course eligibility; usually, transfer students have room for these in general electives):
- COLLG 110: Student Success - covers a variety of topics, including career exploration, helpful to first-time college students.
- HUMDV 125: Choosing a Major – focused on career development and how careers connect with college majors.
- MNGT 186: Professional Development
- COOP 150-153: Cooperative education – allow credit for paid or unpaid work experience connected to a student's career interest.
- Worked-Based Learning Experiences – available in some programs of study, also known as practicum, field experience, internship, capstone, etc.
Hours of Operation
M,T: 7:30 a.m. - 6 p.m.
W-F: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Starting Sept. 29
M,T,W,F: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Th: 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
* Hours may vary the first week of quarter and between quarters
Advising - Fort Steilacoom
Advising - Puyallup