Advising - Preparing for an Advising Session
Coming prepared to meet with an advisor will help students make the most of their advising sessions. The more proactive and prepared the student, the better able they are to take an active role in their educational planning.
Here are some tips to get the most out of an advising session:
- Understand the process for registering for classes.
- Bring pen and paper for taking notes and to record any necessary follow-up.
- Bring any previous materials from previous advising session, such as transcripts from other colleges, educational plans, evaluations of credits, degree audit printouts, test scores, etc. (Hint: make an "advising folder" to bring to each session.)
- Bring a printed transcript.
- Learn how to use the online tools Student Online Services. Know how to search for open classes with the eSchedule and Schedule Planner.
- Before meeting with an advisor for help with registration, use the online tools mentioned above to find specific classes and times, and bring a sample schedule to the session. Hint: Be sure to write the course departments and numbers in the sample schedule (ex: ENGL& 101) and the item number (ex: 2347- a four digit number that identifies the particular class).
- Bring a list of questions so nothing is forgotten.
In addition, students who have not met with an advisor for an educational plan are encouraged to schedule an appointment for that purpose before meeting with an advisor for help with registration.
Hours of Operation
M, T: 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
W, Th 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
F: 8:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
* Hours may vary the first week of quarter and between quarters
Advising - Ft. Steilacoom
Advising - Puyallup