Academic Support Center - Home
The Academic Support Center at Pierce College Fort Steilacoom offers students free tutoring in nearly all subject areas. (The center is also home to the Assistive Technology office.) It is located on the fifth floor of the Cascade building in room 504.
The Academic Support Center offers the following tutoring services:
- Drop-In Tutoring: This option is for students who prefer to study more independently, at their own pace and on a flexible schedule, but who appreciate having tutors and resources available when they need extra help. We have drop-in tutors on a varied schedule in math, physics, chemistry, and biology. Math tutoring is also available in our new Math Center in the Rainier Bldg. RAI 338.
- Appointment Tutoring: This option is best for students preferring more one-on-one, comprehensive tutoring. Appointment tutoring is available in any subject Pierce College offers (if not currently on staff, every effort is made to recruit a tutor in the needed subject). Each student is entitled to two 50-minute sessions per week for each class they are taking. The tutors can also help students identify their preferred learning style, develop more effective study habits and time management skills, and provide them with the academic tools for success.
- Group Tutoring: Group tutoring is an effective study technique especially in the areas of science and world languages. Our center provides tutors to facilitate group study sessions, guiding the sessions to provide maximum efficiency and to act as a resource in the subject matter.
- eTutoring: Pierce College is a member of the Western eTutoring Consortium, a free, online tutoring service that operates in the later evening hours and weekends. This service is available to any registered Pierce College student.
- Workshops: In partnership with the Student Success Series, the Tutoring Center hosts a variety of workshops designed to provide students with the academic and personal skills that will help them achieve their goals.
- Study Resources: In addition to tutoring services, our center is stocked with study resources, including old textbooks, reference manuals, dictionaries, calculators, rulers, and more. We also stock a supply of current math textbooks for use in the center.
Voice: (253) 964-6737
Tutoring Center Hours of Operation
Fall, Winter, Spring Hours:
M-Th: 8 a.m.-7 p.m.
F: 8 a.m.-2 p.m.
M-Th: 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
F: 8 a.m.-noon
Math Center Hours of Operation
M-F: 8 a.m.-1 p.m.
M-Th: 8 a.m.-7 p.m.
F: 8 a.m.-2p.m.
District Tutoring Center Manager
(253) 912-3637 (Fort Steilacoom)
(253) 864-3387 (Puyallup)