Grants and Loans - Grants

Grants or loans are critical pieces of most students' financial aid awards. Grants need not be paid back; loans must be paid back. Here are the grants and loans available to Pierce College students:

Types of Aid

Federal & State Financial Aid
Federal Direct Stafford Loan
Federal Parent PLUS Loan
Federal Pell Grant
Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
Student Employment (Federal and State Work-Study)
Washington State Need Grant
Washington State Passport for Foster Youth
Pierce College Day Care and Emergency Grants
Pierce College Foundation Scholarships
Pierce College Grant
Pierce College Tuition Waiver
Other Resources
BFET – Basic Food, Employment & Training
Foster Care Alumni
Opportunity Grant
Private Loans
Veterans Benefits
Worker Retraining

Federal Pell Grant

The Federal Pell Grant program provides need-based grants to low-income undergraduate students to promote access to post-secondary education.

  • Available to Undergraduates pursuing their first undergraduate degree and not enrolled in a professional program.
  • Must complete a FAFSA Application each year.
Award Amounts
  • Maximum award amount is $5775 per academic year depending on the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) calculated by the FAFSA.
  • The smaller the EFC, the larger the possible award.
  • Students can receive a maximum of six years of Pell Grant Awards.
Enrollment Requirements
  • Students must be enrolled full-time (12 credits or more) to receive their maximum award eligibility.
  • Students enrolled in 9 to 11 credits will receive 75 percent of their maximum award eligibility.
  • Students enrolled in 6 to 8 credits will receive 50 percent of their maximum award eligibility.
  • A minimum award may be made for student enrolled in less than six credits per term.

The Pell Grant is divided between the Quarters of enrollment. If a student exhausts his/her Pell Grant award in Summer, Fall and Winter quarter, the student may not have any Pell Grant funds left to apply to his/her Spring Quarter. Students are advised to plan accordingly if they choose to apply their Pell Grant funds to their summer tuition.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) is designed to assist undergraduates with the highest level of need. Award amounts will vary depending on the availability of funds and student's EFC.

  • File your FAFSA each year.
  • Student must be enrolled at least half-time (six credits).
  • Student must be Pell Grant eligible.

Washington State Passport for Foster Youth

The Passport for Foster Youth Scholarship provides scholarships to former foster youth. Students can receive up to $4500 each year.

  • Have been a dependent of the state of Washington and in foster care on their 18th birthday.
  • Have spent at least one year in foster care after their 16th birthday.
  • Be a resident of Washington State.
  • Have not already received a Bachelor’s Degree and may not be pursuing a degree in theology.
To Apply

Washington State Need Grant

The Washington State Need Grant is a state grant program for Washington residents with exceptional financial need.

  • File either the FAFSA or WASFA application each year.
  • Have a family income of equal to or less than 70 percent of the state median.
  • Be a Washington resident (dependent students' residency is based on parents' resident status).
  • Be pursuing a certificate or Associates Degree.
  • Not be pursuing a degree in theology.
Award Amounts
  • Award amounts vary each year based on available funds.
  • Students can receive Washington State Need Grant funding for a maximum of five years or 125% of their academic program length.

Federal Direct Stafford Loan Program

Federal student loans are low-interest loans which require repayment. Pierce College participates in the Direct Stafford Loan program which provides the best benefits for you as a borrower. This program is not a credit history-based program. Both subsidized and unsubsidized loans are available. To learn more please review the Steps for Loan Borrowers section.

To qualify, students must complete the FAFSA each year.

Federal Parent PLUS Loan Program

The Federal Parent PLUS loan program is a credit-based loan program available to all qualifying parents. You’ll first need to complete the FAFSA before your parents can borrow money under this program. If your parents are denied the loan because of their credit rating you will be eligible for additional funds under this loan program. Contact the Financial Aid Office if this situation applies to you.

To qualify, students must complete the FAFSA each year.

Student Employment (Federal and State Work-Study)

Work-study programs offer you the opportunity to gain valuable work experience while earning money for college. Some jobs can be a great opportunity to enhance your current course work as well as gain valuable real-world work experience. Receiving a Federal Work-Study award does not guarantee employment.

Students may work a maximum of 19 hours per week while attending Pierce College. Work-study is awarded to students who demonstrate financial need.

To qualify, students must complete the FAFSA each year.

Pierce College Day Care/Emergency Grants

Pierce College is committed to reducing the financial barriers that may prevent our students from being successful in the classroom. We offer several grants to Washington Resident Students with extenuating circumstances. Please contact the Financial Aid Office to learn more about these grants.

Pierce College Grant

The Pierce College Grant is an institutional grant that does not have to be repaid. This grant is available to you if you’re a Washington State resident with high financial need. Eligibility is determined by the Financial Aid Office.

Pierce College Tuition Waiver

Washington residents may be eligible to have their resident tuition paid. Students must pay their mandatory and course fees. No refunds will be issued. Please contact (253) 964-6615 for more details.

Pierce College Foundation Scholarships

Pierce College has many scholarship opportunities available to students. To view a list of our current scholarships, please visit:

Other Types of Aid

Private Loans
Most banks and credit unions offer educational loans. We recommend contacting several banks and/or credit unions to find the most competitive rates and benefits which best meet your needs. Private loans can cost more than the loans available from the Federal government under the Stafford loan program.

School Code 005000


Please include your full name and student ID number with your email inquiry.



Fax Numbers

253-964-6427 (Fort Steilacoom)
253-864-3215 (Puyallup)

Office Hours

M-Th: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Fri: 8 a.m. - 3 p.m.