TRIO - Eligibility
TRIO's services are intended for first-generation college students, low-income students, or students with a documented disability and academic need.
You may be eligible for TRIO services if you fit the following criteria:
- You are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
- You plan to attend Pierce College Fort Steilacoom in Lakewood, Washington.
- You are planning to obtain a transferable associate's degree within four years.
- You plan to transfer to a four-year college or university IMMEDIATELY (that Fall) after obtaining an associate's degree from Pierce College.
- You have academic need based on at least one of the following:
- You have been placed, or are currently enrolled, in Math 96/98, English 98/99, or Reading 80/99/101.
- You have a GED.
- You haven't been to school in five or more years, and this is your first quarter.
- There may be other qualifiers for academic need, including but not limited to: failing grades, low gpa, undecided major, limited English proficiency. Stop by the TRiO program to discuss your situation with a TRiO advisor.
- You meet at least one of the following criteria:
- You are a first-generation college student (neither of your parents has earned a bachelor's degree or higher).
- You meet low-income requirements. This is based on TAXABLE income from last year's tax return or a financial aid application form. (Note: If you are receiving a Pell Grant, you may already qualify.)
- You have a documented disability.
If you meet the eligibility requirements listed above or if you have questions about your individual situation, please stop by the TRIO office located in the Welcome Center, Cascade 301, at Pierce College Fort Steilacoom. You can also call us at (253) 912-3644.
Front Desk: 253-912-3644
TRIO FAX: 253-964-6479
253-912-2399 ext 5034
253-912-2399 ext 5118