Testing Centers - Fort Steilacoom Services
The Testing Center offers a variety of testing services. The following services and exams are available:
COMPASS assessment. The COMPASS assessment is used to determine your current skill levels so that you can be placed in the appropriate courses at Pierce College. This test is required for all students who are taking English or math classes, or any classes that have English or math prerequisites.
The COMPASS assessment is not timed, but most students need between two and two and a half hours to complete the test, which includes sections on reading, writing, and math. You may take the assessment twice in one year, but you must wait at least five days after your first COMPASS assessment to retake it. If you choose to retake the COMPASS assessment, your second scores will override your first scores even if they are lower. Scores are only valid for one year from the assessment date.
Cost is $15.00 (non-refundable) and must be paid to the campus cashier prior to starting the assessment. There are no appointments needed; walk-in testing hours are available. Photo identification is required; there are no exceptions. For more information, call Fort Steilacoom Testing Center at 253-964-6521 or Puyallup at 253-840-8343.
- HOBET Testing (Fort Steilacoom Center only) The Health Occupations Basic Evaluations Test (HOBET) is required for admission to Pierce College's veterinary technology program. It is offered in computerized formats only. There is a $30 fee (non-refundable). To schedule an appointment, call 253-964-6521.
- TOEFL (Fort Steilacoom Center only) The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is offered to Pierce College students and the public. This test is useful for a number of programs, including Pierce College's Intensive English program for international students. There is a $150 registration fee payable through TOEFL. Photo identification is required. For more information, call 253-964-6521.
- GED Testing General Education Development (GED) tests are for those wishing to earn a GED certificate, which is equivalent to a high school diploma and meets most employment criteria and the educational eligibility requirement to receive federal financial aid for college. Cost is $150.00 (non-refundable). For more information, call Fort Steilacoom Testing Center at 253-964-6521 or Puyallup at 253-840-8343.
- Faculty Make-Up Exams If you are unable to take an exam at the time it was given by the instructor, you may be able to make it up at the Testing Center during walk-in testing hours. Arrangements for the test to be taken in the testing center must be made with your instructor. Photo identification is required to complete a make-up exam.
- eLearning Exams Student using any of the eLearning options at Pierce College may take their exams during walk-in hours at the Testing Center. Photo identification is required. For more information, call Fort Steilacoom Testing Center at 253-964-6521 or Puyallup at 253-840-8343.
- Proctor Exams Students from other academic institutions or businesses may take non-Pierce College exams at the Testing Center. These proctor exams can be online or paper-based. There is a $25 fee per exam (non-refundable). To schedule an appointment to take a proctor exam, call Fort Steilacoom Testing Center at 253-964-6521 or Puyallup at 253-840-8343.
- Credit by Examination You can challenge selected Pierce College courses by submitting a Credit by Examination application (available in the Testing Center). There is a $30 per credit (non-refundable) fee for the exam. Photo identification is required. For more information, call Fort Steilacoom Testing Center at 253-964-6521 or Puyallup at 253-840-8343.
M, T, W, F: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Th: 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.