Scholarships are a great way to pay for your education or technical training. New scholarships are announced throughout the year, so it's good to check back to this page frequently for information on the latest opportunities, as well as links to application information and other details. Click here for additional scholarship resources.
Learn more about scholarship opportunities at the TheWashBoard.org.
Pierce College Foundation
The Pierce College Foundation acquires private funding for the college, provides enhancements to college programs, improves access for students, and promotes the college to the community. For more information about the Pierce College Foundation, visit the Foundation web page.
How to Apply
Click here to learn more about the Pierce College Foundation scholarships. In order to apply for a foundation scholarship please visit TheWashBoard.org. Paper applications are available at the Financial Aid Office and can be submitted to the President's Office on your campus (FS/PY). JBLM and eLearning students please return your applications to the Fort Steilacoom office.
- Enrolled at Pierce College
- 2.5 or higher GPA; first quarter students may apply without a GPA
- One-page essay that answers the following questions:
- What are your educational and professional goals?
- How will attending Pierce College help you achieve those goals?
- Please explain any financial barriers that you face and how a scholarship could help.
- Letter of recommendation from a professional source such as an instructor or supervisor.
- A completed FAFSA application on file with Pierce College Financial Aid.
Military Student Scholarships
Horst and Carol Marschall Scholarship
When Horst Marschall (long-time Executive Director of the Pierce College Military Program) retired, faculty and staff at Pierce College funded a scholarship in recognition of his leadership, vision and support for staff, faculty and students at JBLM. This scholarship is currently for active duty members (Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines, Coast Guard, National Guard and active duty Reserves) enrolled in at least one five (5) credit class at JBLM during the quarter applying. However, if you are taking additional classes at our Fort Steilacoom or Puyallup Campus funds can be applied.
Jennifer Jamison Textbook Scholarship
The Jennifer Jamison Textbook Scholarship provides $204 for textbooks for military-affiliated students at Joint Base Lewis-McChord. Application is open to veterans, active duty military personnel and their family members, with preference going to those who have served in Iraq or Afghanistan. Qualified applicants must be enrolled in at least 10 credits at Pierce College and have a minimum 3.3 GPA at the time of application. Funds will be made available to winners for winter quarter and spring quarter.
AmVets Auxiliary Scholarship
The AmVets Auxiliary Scholarship can pay for tuition, fees, materials, books, tools, or any other program fee.
At least eight $250 scholarships will be awarded to military-affiliated students.
Open to active duty military personnel, veterans, and family members of veterans and active duty military enrolled at Pierce College. Students must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 and be taking 10 or more credits.
Deadline: August 5
For additional information contact Marion Sharp at (253) 864-3212 or email@example.com.
Transfer Scholarships for Exceptional Students
Next Step Scholarship
- Open to: Pierce College Students (Puyallup and Fort Steilacoom) transferring to UW-T – having completed an AA no earlier than September 1.
- Award: Up to $6,000 per year for two years.
- Requirements: Minimum GPA 3.5, permanent Washington State resident, two faculty/instructor references, and transcripts from all higher education institutes.
- Deadline: March 30, 2016 - Paper packet turned in to the President's Office on your campus (FS/PY).
Three applicants will be nominated by each college president and forwarded to the UW-T Scholarship Selection Committee. One recipient from each college will be announced.
Application deadline: Spring 2017
Barry Goldwater Scholarship
The scholarship deadline has passed. The application typically is available in January each year. Please see the Barry Goldwater Scholarship website for more information. This is a national scholarship, not a Pierce College Foundation scholarship.
- Scholarship Amount: Awarded up to $7,500 per year, for up to two years
- Deadline: January 22, 2017
- All supporting documents must be received by February 1, 2017.
We are searching for students with strong commitment to a career in research in mathematics, the natural sciences, medicine, or engineering.
Morris K. Udall Scholarship
- Scholarship Amount: Awarded up to $5,000
We are searching for College sophomores and juniors for leadership, public service, and commitment to issues related to American Indian nations or to the environment.
Washington State Opportunity Scholarship
The Washington State Opportunity Scholarship (WSOS) supports low- and middle-income students pursuing eligible high-demand majors in science, technology, engineering, math (STEM) or health care and encourages recipients to work in Washington State once they complete their degrees.
The amount of funding that selected students will be eligible to receive each year will vary based on the number of credits they have completed.
- Annual award amount: $2,500 - $7,500 depending on class standing
- Renewable for up to five years based on credits completed and continued eligibility
- Recipients receive access to additional workshops, events and exclusive support programs
Leadership 1000 Scholarship
The Leadership 1000 Scholarship is designated for students who will be attending an eligible four-year college or university in Washington State.
- Annual awards range from $2,500-$5,000.
- Some scholarships are renewable for up to four years.
- Approximately 60 applicants selected.
Applications can be found at the Washington State Opportunity Scholarship Website.
Bill Stoner Endowment Scholarships
Four Bill Stoner Endowment Scholarships will be awarded to assist recipients in reaching their educational and career goals. The $1,250 awards are paid directly to the recipient's college or university to be used toward tuition or books.
- Scholarship Amount: $1,250
- Adult learner attending Pierce College
OR homeschooled resident of Puyallup or Sumner
OR PHS, RHS, ERHS, WHS, SHS or BLHS graduating senior.
- Attending an accredited two or four year college or university (adult learners must be attending Pierce College).
- Cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher (n/a for adult learners).
- Demonstrated financial need.
Include the Bill Stoner Endowment Scholarship Application form and the following:
- Unofficial transcripts (high school or most recent two years of schooling).
- Two letters of recommendation – one from a scholastic contact, one from a community contact. Both letters should include contact information and must have been written within the last 12 months.
Washington State Korean Inter-Married Women's Association Scholarship
WA-KIMWA (Washington State Korean Inter-Married Women's Association), a non-profit organization, is offering a “KIMWA Scholarship” for 5 Pierce College students. Each winner of the scholarship will receive $1,000. To receive the scholarship, recipients must attend the 12th annual Inauguration, KIMWA Scholarship Award and Donation Ceremony on December 10, Saturday at 4:30 p.m. at the Asian Pacific Cultural Center located in Tacoma, WA.
The application deadline has passed. This scholarship has been awarded in December. Please check back in the fall for an updated scholarship deadline and application.
To apply, please submit the following:
- One page introductory letter
- An official college transcript with a minimum 3.0 GPA
- An essay describing your future goals (700 words limit)
Deadline: October 31, 2016
- Submit scholarship materials to Nicole Ferris at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can reach Nicole at (253) 864-3370 for more information.