Criminal History Clearance Required
All validated applicants must submit to a Criminal Background Check. Applicants who are unable to pass the Criminal Background Check will be unable to complete all courses required to earn an associate degree in Dental Hygiene at Pierce College and will not be accepted.
Applicants who have been convicted of a felony must clarify their eligibility for licensure through the Department of Licensing before commencing a course of study in Dental Hygiene, and if able, clear their criminal history. Please contact the Washington State Department of Health for further information at (360) 236-4700.
Identification of Positive Criminal History-Washington State Criminal History Repository Department of Health-Licensing Application. DOH conducts criminal background check on every applicant for licensure (DH Program, dentistry, etc.)
- Applicants must answer the DOH Information Data Sheet with integrity and honesty. Future licensure is at great risk if false information is submitted.
- With positive criminal history, the applicant must include all reports and court documents along with detailed and complete explanations, with the application for Washington State Licensure.
- Positive criminal history cases are submitted to a DOH review panel, where decisions regarding licensure (and possible stipulations) are determined.
- Each case identifying positive criminal history is managed as an individual case. License stipulations may be obligatory if patient harm is potential.
- Applicants with positive criminal history should attempt to get the violation records expunged (after a specified time, some records may be expunged).