SUMMER QUARTER HOUSING AGREEMENT
June 25, 2019 – August 23, 2019
For the purpose of this Agreement, the terms below have the following meanings:
- Agreement: The Summer Housing Agreement for 2019.
- Agreement Period: Full summer term from 9am June 25, 2019, or beginning on the assigned Check-In date, through 6pm August 23, 2019.
- Agreement Termination, Termination: Ending the Agreement after Check-In and before August 23, 2019. For termination prior to Check-In, see Cancellation.
- Application: The student’s College housing application submitted via eRezLife for occupancy in CGS.
- Cancel, Cancellation: Ending the Application and Agreement before Check-In. For cancellations after Check-In, see Agreement Termination.
- CGS: Center for Global Scholars, Residence Hall. College housing facility operated in a public-private partnership with the College Foundation.
- Check in, Check-In: Obtaining Room keys for CGS regardless of whether or not the student is physically occupying the space.
- Check out, Check-Out: Returning keys to the authorized staff member designated by CGS.
- College: Pierce College, Fort Steilacoom campus.
- Common Areas: All areas in CGS other than the student’s Room including, but not limited to, the TV Lounge, Study Room, Quiet Room, Fitness Room, Kitchen, Dining Room, Laundry, bathrooms, lobby, hallways, open study spaces, and gated courtyards.
- eRezLife: The CGS housing software used for housing related communications, forms, and related actions.
- Interim: 6pm June 21, 2019 through start of the start date of the Summer Quarter 2019 Agreement Period.
- Occupancy Period: The period commencing at Check-In through 6pm August 23, 2019, or through Check-Out, whichever occurs first.
- Resident Handbook: CGS and residence life resource that includes pertinent information, policies, procedures and guidelines in which students are responsible for knowing and complying with.
- Room: A space assigned to the student within CGS.
- Room Condition Report: The eRezLife and paper forms used to identify the condition of Rooms and Common Areas.
- Room Change: Moving from one Room to another Room within CGS.
- Roommate: Students assigned to share a Room in CGS.
- Summer Building Closure: 6pm August 23, 2019 to 9am September 12, 2019. CGS closed to all students. Students must Check-Out by 6pm August 23, 2019. Students must renew and submit a 2019-2020 3-Quarter Housing Agreement to return to CGS.
II. GENERAL PROVISIONS
A. I agree to all terms and conditions of this Agreement and acknowledge this Agreement is binding once I electronically sign the Agreement in eRezLife.
B. This Agreement is entered into by and between the College and me, a College student, for my use and occupancy of a Room in CGS according to the terms specified herein. This Agreement is a legal and binding document between the College and me.
C. If I am younger than 18 years of age at the time I submit my Application, my parent or legal guardian must complete the Cosigner Agreement and Release for Minor forms within one week of my Application submission.
D. The College and I intend for this Agreement to constitute a license for the use of a Room and Common Areas in CGS as assigned by CGS, and further intend that this Agreement will not constitute a lease and will not create or transfer an interest in or a lien upon real estate. The relationship created by this Agreement between the College and me is that of licensor and licensee, not that of landlord and tenant. My use and occupancy is being provided incidental to the provision of educational services by the College.
E. I may not transfer or assign this Agreement, or the right to occupy my assigned Room, or any other rights or benefits granted hereunder, to another person.
F. If I lived in CGS through the end of Spring Quarter 2019, the provisions of this Agreement apply to the period between 6pm June 21, 2019 and 9am June 25, 2019.
G. The information provided by me in my Application is true, complete and accurate. If the College determines that I have provided untrue, incomplete, or inaccurate information, the College will have a basis to declare me in breach of this Agreement, take disciplinary action against me, and/or require that I Check out of CGS immediately.
H. All charges in this Agreement for the related service or action represent a reasonable approximation of the College’s administrative costs, and I will be financially responsible for all payments in this Agreement.
I. My failure to comply with any term of this Agreement shall be grounds for the College to declare me in breach of this Agreement and require that I Check out of CGS, and may result in other action against me by the College including, but not limited to, disciplinary action, termination of this Agreement, future ineligibility to reside in CGS, and collection of outstanding debt and recovery of collection agency fees as stated in Section IX.K.
J. CGS will not disclose information relating to my student record, Application, eRezLife, and assignment as required by state and federal law, including but not limited to FERPA, except as stated in Section VII.E. I may authorize the release of information by completing the FERPA form in eRezLife.
K. If I am seeking a housing accommodation for a disability, I must contact Access and Disability Services (ADS) by the deadline shown at the Residence Hall home page and in the Resident Handbook. Additional information is available at the Access and Disability Services web page. CGS cannot proceed with disability accommodations without direction from ADS.
L. This Agreement may be amended with a 30-day notice by the College during the term of this Agreement.
I represent and warrant that I am eligible to reside in CGS because I meet and will maintain for the Occupancy Period all of the following eligibility criteria and expectations:
A. I currently am or have been admitted into the College.
B. I will maintain my status as a registered full-time (minimum 12 credit hours) student during my Occupancy Period.
C. I am or will be at least 17 years of age at the time I Check In.
D. I have not been dismissed from CGS nor has the College ever terminated my agreement or filed an eviction or unlawful detainer action against me for CGS.
E. I have not vacated at the request of CGS in lieu of legal eviction from CGS.
F. If at any time after I have submitted this Agreement I become ineligible under the eligibility criteria stated above to reside in CGS, I agree to inform CGS in writing at firstname.lastname@example.org of my ineligibility within 24 hours of becoming ineligible, and to Check out as described in Section XV within 72 hours of becoming ineligible, unless I am required to vacate earlier as described in this Agreement.
IV. CRIMINAL OFFENSES
A. If I have been arrested for, with prosecution ongoing, or convicted of a serious violent or sex offense (RCW 9.94A.030); or have entered a deferred adjudication agreement relating to a serious violent or sex offense; or have been or am under active supervision by any state, territory or foreign country related to a serious violent or sex offense; or have been or am required to register as a sex offender, I must notify CGS in writing at email@example.com at the time this Agreement is submitted (RCW 28B.160). I acknowledge that the College has the discretion to determine whether my application to reside in CGS should be accepted, and to assign me to the particular Room deemed appropriate by the CGS.
B. If after submitting this Agreement I am arrested for, convicted of, or found to have committed a serious violent or sex offense (RCW 9.94A.030); enter a deferred adjudication agreement relating to or am placed under action supervision by any state, territory or foreign country relating to a serious violent or sex offense; or am required to register as a sex offender, I will inform CGS of my offense in writing at firstname.lastname@example.org within 24 hours. Failure to give written notification within 24 hours may result in Termination of this Agreement. I further agree that I will provide CGS with all requested information regarding the event(s) at issue. CGS has the discretion to require that I Check out within 24 hours of said notification unless CGS provides me with written permission to remain in CGS. Even if I am given written permission to remain in CGS, CGS retains the ability to change that determination and require I Check out as additional information is obtained.
C. I will provide the College with any information it requests related to my offense(s) in order for the College to make a determination of my eligibility to reside in CGS based on the best interests of the College.
V. AGREEMENT PERIOD AND CHECK-IN
A. The duration of this Agreement and the housing charges contained within this Agreement are from the period of 9am June 25, 2019 through 6pm August 23, 2019.
B. If I lived in CGS through the end of Spring Quarter 2019, the provisions of this Agreement apply to the Interim period between 6pm June 21, 2019 and 9am June 25, 2019.
C. Check-In date and time covered by this Agreement are:
|Academic Quarter||Check-In Date and Time|
|Summer Quarter 2019||June 25, 2019 between 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. By appointment only after June 25, 2019.|
1. If I am assigned to the same Room for Summer Quarter 2019 that I occupied during Spring Quarter 2019, I may continue to occupy my assigned Room and/or leave my personal belongings in my assigned Room between Spring Quarter and Summer Quarter.
2. If I am assigned to a different Room for Summer Quarter 2019. I must complete my Room Change by 9am on June 25, 2019.
D. Any request to Check in after 6pm on the second day of College instruction of the applicable academic quarter must be submitted to CGS at email@example.com.
E. If I am assigned to a Room after the Agreement Period begins, my Agreement will begin on my assigned Check-In date.
VI. CANCELLATION OF APPLICATION AND AGREEMENT BEFORE CHECK-IN
I may Cancel my Application and Agreement before I Check in. If I wish to terminate this Agreement after Check-In, I may do so as described in Section XIV.
A. If I wish to Cancel my Application and Agreement, I must notify CGS in writing at firstname.lastname@example.org.
B. Except as stated in Section VI.C, a Cancellation charge as shown in the table below, will be assessed regardless of my reason for Cancelling my Application including, but not limited to, being assigned to a Room that does not meet my preference, or finding different housing accommodations.
Summer Quarter Application Cancellation Deadlines and Charges
|On or before May 31, 2019||$0|
|June 1 – June 24, 2019||$500|
|On or after June 25, 2019||$500 + full Summer Quarter charges|
C. I will not be assessed a Cancellation charge if:
1. I submit my Cancellation within one week of my approved Application, unless my Check-In date is within the one week; or,
2. I notify College Admissions, and CGS at email@example.com, that I will not be attending the College; or,
3. I am not accepted into a College program with a selective admissions process; or,
4. I have received military orders for entry into the service, a permanent change of station or deployment for a least 90 days. I must provide CGS with copies of any such military orders at firstname.lastname@example.org.
D. If I Cancel my initial Application, reapply, and Cancel again, I will be assessed Cancellation charges based on the latest Cancellation date.
E. If I do not submit my Cancellation and do not Check in to my Room by 6pm on the second day of College instruction of the applicable academic quarter:
1. CGS will consider my Application for housing Cancelled, Cancel this Agreement, and reassign my Room; and,
2. I will be charged $500 Cancellation charge; and,
3. I will be responsible for paying full Room charges for the current quarter.
F. If I am assigned a Room after the Agreement Period begins and do not Check in to my Room by my assigned Check-In date:
1. CGS will consider my Application for housing Cancelled, Cancel this Agreement, and reassign my Room; and,
2. I will be charged a $500 Cancellation charge; and,
3. I will be responsible for the paying the full Room charges for the remainder of the current quarter.
VII. ROOM ASSIGNMENT
A. Submission of an Application and Agreement does not guarantee me a Room in CGS.
B. I will be assigned based on my assignment priority to any available Room within CGS regardless of rate including, but not limited to, a triple or quad Room.
C. I may be assigned to any available Room regardless of assignment preferences expressed by me including, but not limited to, Room and Roommate request.
D. I will accept my assigned Room in CGS through the end of the Agreement Period.
E. CGS may release my name, email address and telephone number to my assigned Roommate.
F. CGS reserves the right to reassign me to a different Room at any time for any reason that is reasonable under the circumstances including, but not limited to, the welfare of residents, a violation of Community Standards or the Student Conduct Code, to accommodate facility operations or repair, to accommodate students with disabilities, to use available space more efficiently, or to further the best interests of the College and/or community. I may be required to move with a 48-hour notice.
G. If a space is available in my Room, I may be assigned a Roommate without prior notification.
H. If a space is available in my Room, I will keep the available space clean and accessible. If I fail to do so, I will be charged the daily Room rate for both the unavailable space and my assigned space until the space is clean and accessible, and I may be subject to disciplinary action.
A. Room Charges
1. I will be charged for and will pay the room rate for the Room type to which I am assigned. Summer Quarter 2019 housing rates can be viewed at the Residence Hall home page.
2. My Room rate includes utilities (e.g. water, electricity, heat, sewer and garbage services), internet and Room furnishings. My Room rate does not include laundry and parking. A temporary failure in utility service is not a breach of this Agreement.
3. If I am assigned a Room after the Agreement Period begins, I must pay pro-rated housing charges based on my Check-In date assigned by CGS, even if I do no Check in on that date.
4. If I Cancel my Application before I Check in, I will be subject to Cancellation charges as stated in Section VI.
5. If I terminate my Agreement after I Check in, I will be subject to Agreement Termination charges as stated in Section XIV.
B. Parking Charges
1. I will be charged a Parking Charge of $50 to park a car at CGS. I may be charged a separate Parking Charge of $50 to park a car at CGS over the Summer Building Closure.
2. I may park no more than one car at CGS. I must appropriately display a Campus Parking Permit and complete a CGS Car/Bike Registration form in eRezLife.
C. Incidental Charges
1. I will pay any incidental charges placed on my College student account immediately. A list of incidental charges can be found in the Resident Handbook.
A. I will pay my CGS charges according to the dates shown in the table below:
|QUARTER||QUARTERLY CHARGE OR PAYMENT PLAN (HRIC) 1ST INSTALLMENT DUE DATE||PAYMENT PLAN (HRIC) FINAL PAYMENT DUE DATE||LATE PAYMENT CHARGE APPLIED|
|Summer Quarter 2019||June 21, 2019
Or before Check-In
|August 16, 2019||July 2, 2019
Or 3 days after each HRIC Installment due date
B. If I fail to make payments as required in this Agreement, my Agreement and assignment may be terminated. If my Agreement is terminated by CGS, I will be required to move out and will be charged Termination charges as shown in Section XIV.
C. During my Occupancy Period, all billing adjustments and incidental charges placed on my College student account are due immediately.
D. I may view my Statement of Account at the College Fort Steilacoom Cashiers in Cascade Building, Level 3, 305.
E. I will make payments in one of the following manners:
1. With a credit/debit card using the housing payment link at the bottom of the Student Housing Invoice; or,
2. In person with cash, check or credit/debit card at the College Fort Steilacoom Cashiers in Cascade Building, Level 3, 305; or,
3. By wire transfer:
a. Put my name and student ID in the comments for the wire; and,
b. Include payment for the $18 Incoming Wire Fee and my outgoing wire fee.
Account Name: Pierce College
Bank Name: Key Bank (Lakewood Branch)
Account Number: #05609201
ABA Number: 125000574
Swift Code: KEYBUS33
F. I will be assessed a Late Payment charge of $30 if my CGS housing payment is not paid in full by the payment due date(s) in Section X.A.
G. If I have any questions about my housing charges or if my payment will be late, I will contact CGS at email@example.com and the College Fort Steilacoom Cashiers, Cascade Building, Level 3, 305 or 253-964-6700, before my account becomes delinquent.
H. If I fail to make payments after Check-In as required by this Agreement:
1. The College may declare me in breach of and terminate this Agreement, cancel my assignment and require I Check out, and/or take further action against me including, but not limited to:
a. Denying future Applications for CGS; and,
b. Placing a hold on College registration, transfer of credits, transcripts and graduation; and,
c. Assessing collection agency charges as outlined in Section IX.K; and,
d. Assessing legal fees and moving and storage costs; and,
e. Obtaining a legal judgment against me for any balance due.
I. If I wish to dispute any housing charges posted to my College student account, I must request an exemption within 30 days of the charge being posted to my College student account. I can request an exemption by contacting CGS at firstname.lastname@example.org. I understand that exemption requests submitted more than 30 days after housing charges have been posted will not be considered, and I will be responsible for full payment of those charges.
J. After I Check out, all housing charges are due immediately.
K. The College reserves the right to refer to an outside collection agency. I will be responsible for all costs including collection costs interest, moving and storage costs, and reasonable legal fees per Washington State law.
L. I authorize the College, CGS and their respective agents and contractors to contact me regarding outstanding charges or repayment of outstanding charges at the current or any future number that I provide for my cell phone or wireless device using automated telephone dialing equipment or artificial or prerecorded voice or text messages.
X. COMMUNITY STANDARDS
A. I agree to abide by the Community Standards, which are appended hereto as Appendix A. I acknowledge that the Community Standards apply to me not only when I am in the CGS building but also while I am on CGS property, which includes, but is not limited to, Common Areas, entry areas, parking areas, courtyards, and grounds. Furthermore, I acknowledge that I am responsible for the behavior of my guests.
B. I acknowledge that I am subject to the Student Conduct Code for the College.
C. I agree to abide by all regulations, policies and standards of the College and CGS. Should my guests or I fail to comply with the conduct regulations, policies and standards of the College or CGS including, but not limited to, the Community Standards and the Student Conduct Code, CGS may take disciplinary action against me pursuant to the Residential Life Conduct Process and/or Student Conduct Code. The Residential Life Conduct Process may be found in the Resident Handbook.
XI. ROOM CHANGES
A. I may only make a Room Change with prior written approval by the CGS Resident Manager.
B. If I wish to change my Room, I must follow all Room Change procedures as outlined in the Resident Handbook.
C. If CGS approves my Room Change request or I am required to make a Room Change as part of a disciplinary process, I will be assessed a nonrefundable Room Change charge of $50.
D. If I do not follow proper Room Change procedures, I will be charged an Improper Check-Out charge of $50 in addition to the Room Change charge of $50.
E. I will be required to pay the Room rate for the new Room effective the date my Room Change begins.
F. I must return my originally assigned Room keys to the authorized CGS staff member by my Room Change deadline. If my keys are not returned by the deadline, I will be charged an Improper Check-Out charge of $50.
G. If I make a Room Change without prior approval by the CGS Resident Manager:
1. I will be assessed an Improper Check-Out charge of $50; and,
2. I will be charged the daily Room rate for both Rooms until I have Checked out of my originally assigned Room or I have moved back to my originally assigned Room; and,
3. I will be charged a Room Change charge of $50 if CGS approves my Room Change request.
H. Prior to my Room Change deadline, I will remove all of my belongings from my Room and follow the cleaning guidelines as outlined in the Resident Handbook. If I do not remove my personal belongings, CGS may pack and store and/or dispose of them at my expense. While CGS intends to make reasonable efforts to protect my belongings, I will not hold the College liable for any damage or loss.
I. If my keys are not returned by the Room Change deadline, I may be assessed a Physical Key and Lock Replacement charge of up to $250, plus an Improper Check-Out charge of $50.
XII. ENTRY AND INSPECTION
A. College staff, authorized staff members as designated by CGS, designees and contractors have the right to enter my Room during reasonable hours for inspections, to clean areas recently vacated by my Roommate, make repairs or alterations, to conduct quarterly Health & Safety Inspections or other cleanliness and safety checks.
B. Except in emergencies or when it is impractical, the College will give me at least 48-hour notice of its intent to enter my Room and will enter only at reasonable times. However, if I request or if my Roommate requests repairs or maintenance, which does not include, but is not limited to, the submission of a Work Order, I will not receive any prior notice that College staff, authorized staff members as designated by CGS or designees will be entering my Room.
C. College staff, authorized staff members as designated by CGS and/or College Campus Safety staff may enter areas outside my Room unannounced to conduct rounds concerning health, safety, or security checks, to enforce Community Standards and other policies, or to investigate possible criminal activity, and I will have no expectation of privacy outside of my Room.
D. College custodial staff or designees will routinely enter Common Areas including, but not limited to, bathrooms, in order to clean.
XIII. CLEANING, ALTERATIONS AND DAMAGES
A. I will review and, if necessary, update the Room Condition Report in eRezLife within one week of Check-In. Any damage or missing items not declared on the Room Condition Report will be my responsibility and will be charged to me when I Check out.
B. I will report my lost Room access key card, Room physical key (if issued), and/or mail key immediately to the Front Desk. If after 72 hours, I have not demonstrated to CGS that I have located my keys, any affected locks will be changed at my expense. I may be assessed a Physical Key and Lock Replacement charge of up to $250 in order to secure my Room, plus a Access Key Card charge of $50 and Mail Key charge of $50.
C. I will keep my Room and Common Areas clean, orderly, maintained and in good condition at all times and will properly dispose of garbage and recyclables in designated collection bins and sites. I will be responsible for any charges and disciplinary actions that result from my failure to keep my Room or Common Areas clean, orderly and in good condition.
D. I will not make any repairs or alternations to any CGS premises. If repairs are required, I must submit a Work Order in eRezLife.
E. If I or any guest of mine damages any Room, Common Area or CGS property, I will be responsible for the reasonable cost of repair, replacement, and/or cleaning as determined by CGS.
F. If any damages occur in the Common Areas and the responsible person cannot be determined, charges for repair, replacement and/or cleaning as determined by CGS will be divided up equally among me and others present when the damage occurred.
XIV. TERMINATION OF AGREEMENT AFTER CHECK-IN
I may terminate my Agreement after I Check in. If I wish to Cancel this Agreement prior to Check-In, I may do so as described in Section VI.
A. The duration of this Agreement and the housing charges contained within this Agreement are for the period of 6pm June 25, 2019, through 6pm August 23, 2019.
B. If I Check out during the Summer Quarter 2019, or between June 25, 2019 and August 23, 2019:
1. must submit a Notice to Terminate Housing Agreement in advance of my Check-Out date in eRezLife; and,
2. I will not be charged a Termination charge; and,
3. I will be responsible for the Summer Quarter housing charges and all housing charges posted to my College student account; and,
4. I may be subject to an Improper Check-Out charge of $50 or Improper Move-Out charge of $250 if I do not follow the Check-Out procedures as described in the Resident Handbook.
A. When I Check out of my Room, I will follow proper Check-Out procedures as described in the Resident Handbook.
B. If I am Checking out prior to the end of the Agreement Period, I will follow Agreement Termination procedures as stated in Section XIV.
C. Prior to my Check-Out, I will remove all of my belongings from my Room and Common Areas and follow the cleaning guidelines as outlined in the Resident Handbook. If I do not remove my personal belongings, CGS may pack and store and/or dispose of them at my expense. While CGS intends to make reasonable efforts to protect my belongings, I will not hold the College liable for any damage or loss.
D. If I do not return my Room keys by the date I provided on my Notice to Terminate Housing Agreement or at the end of the Agreement Period, whichever comes first, I will be assessed all applicable charges for unreturned items and/or labor charges as shown in the incidental charges in the Resident Handbook.
E. If my keys are not returned, I may be assessed a Physical Key and Lock Replacement charge of up to $250 in order to secure my Room, plus a Access Key Card Replacement charge of $50 and Mail Key Replacement charge of $50.
F. When I Check out, I will leave my Room and Common Areas and all furnishings in good order and repair except for reasonable wear, and pay any repair, replacement, and/or cleaning costs as determined by CGS.
G. I may be subject to an Improper Check-Out charge of $50 or Improper Move-Out charge of $250 if I do not follow the Check-Out procedures as described in the Resident Handbook.
H. If I Check out and have a pending Application or future assignment, I must immediately pay all outstanding housing charges and balances owed on my College student account or my pending Application or future assignment may be Terminated.
I. It is my responsibility to keep my local address and permanent address current in MyPierce.
XVI. EMERGENCY CLOSURES
A. The College’s inability to make a Room available to me for any reason beyond the College’s control including, but not limited to, fire, flood, earthquake, condemnation, quarantine, utility malfunction or other emergency or force majeure event shall not constitute a breach of this Agreement by the College. In such circumstances, the College shall have no liability to me in any way for injuries, reimbursement, damages, inconvenience, annoyances, or compensation of any kind. The College may attempt to find, but cannot guarantee, an alternative space for me. If the unavailability of my Room or an alternate space persists for more than 72 hours, I may terminate this Agreement and Check out during said unavailability without penalty provided that I shall be responsible for all financial obligations incurred up to the date of such termination. The College agrees to provide me with a pro rata refund, calculated from the date of such termination to the end of the Agreement Period, of any prepaid housing payment made to the College pursuant to this Agreement. Upon resumption of standard operations, Agreement Termination requirements and charges will apply as described in Section XIV.
XVII. INJURY OR PROPERTY LOSS
A. The College shall not have any responsibility or provide any compensation for any injury to me or any guest of mine, or for loss or damage to my property or that of any guest of mine, except to the extent caused by the College’s gross negligence. I acknowledge that the College recommends that I carry appropriate insurance against such injury, loss or damage. I acknowledge that the College does not promise, warrant or guarantee the safety or security of me or any guest of mine, or of my personal property or the personal property of any guest of mine against the actions of other parties.
B. Nothing in this Agreement shall be construed as being intended to protect any person or class of persons from injury or harm.
C. If there is loss of or damage to my property or that of any guest of mine for any reason beyond the College’s control including, but not limited to, natural disaster, fire, earthquake, utility malfunction, quarantine, infestation, or other emergency or force majeure event, the College shall have no liability to me or any guest of mine for reimbursement, damages, inconvenience, annoyance or compensation of any kind.
XIII. SEVERABILITY AND CHOICE OF LAW
A. The provisions of this Agreement are intended to be severable. If any term or condition is determined to be invalid for any reason, the remaining provisions of this Agreement shall continue to be valid and enforceable.
B. This Agreement shall be governed in all respects by the laws of Washington State. The parties agree that any legal action related in any way to this Agreement shall be brought exclusively in Lakewood, Pierce County, Washington.
APPENDIX A: COMMUNITY STANDARDS
A. RESIDENT RIGHTS & RESPONSIBILITIES
1. I have the right to live, study and socialize at CGS with limited impact from distraction or nuisance caused by the behaviors of others.
2. I have the right to report incidents and concerns to CGS staff members without the fear of retaliation.
3. I have the right to due process in the investigation and adjudication of alleged policy violations, as outlined in the Residence Life Conduct Process found in the Resident Handbook and the College Student Conduct Code.
4. I have the right to a learning environment which is free from unlawful discrimination, inappropriate and disrespectful conduct, and any and all harassment, including sexual harassment.
5. I and my guests are responsible to help maintain an environment conducive to academic pursuit.
6. I and my guests are responsible for self-regulating our use of and behavior in and around CGS with the intent to provide a courteous and respectful environment for others.
7. I and my guests are responsible for proactively reporting concerns to CGS staff members.
8. I and my guests are responsible for understanding and complying with the Community Standards stated below, the Resident Handbook (also found in eRezLife), the College Student Conduct Code, and stipulations outlined in this Agreement.
B. STANDARDS OF CONDUCT
1. I will respect the rights privileges and property of other members of the CGS community and visitors.
2. I will refrain from conduct that would interfere with CGS operations or endanger the health, welfare or safety of others person, myself or animals used by persons with disabilities.
3. I will refrain from any conduct, in the CGS’s and/or the College’s sole judgement, would violate any city, county, state or federal laws. This conduct includes, but is not limited to, theft, robbery, possession of stolen property, damage to or unauthorized possession, use or removal of CGS or College property, gambling or wagering activities; and unauthorized use of any service (e.g. building access cards).
4. I will comply with the directions of CGS staff members and College officials and their authorized agents in the performance of their duties.
5. I will not provide false information to or withhold material information from any CGS staff member or College official or agent acting in the course of their duties.
6. I and my guests will present College ID or other approved identification to CGS staff members and College officials upon request.
7. During posted Quiet Hours, I will refrain from making noise (e.g. loud talking, volume of electronic equipment) that can be heard beyond the boundaries of my Room or space that I am using. Quiet Hours begin at 10pm on the evenings before College classes are in session and midnight on all other nights. Quiet Hours end each day at 9am. a. Exceptions: Quiet Hours are in effect 24 hours a day beginning three days before Finals each quarter and extend through the end of Finals.
8. I will refrain from making excessive noise (e.g. loud talking, volume of electronic equipment) even outside the designated Quiet Hours and areas.
9. I will refrain in engaging in sports activities and/or using recreational equipment including, but not limited to, bicycles, skates, skateboards, drones, balls, Nerf guns and Frisbees inside CGS including, but not limited to, Rooms, Common Areas, bathrooms, lobby and hallways.
10. I will not commit any act of dishonesty including, but not limited to, personal misrepresentation, knowingly furnishing false information, forgery and the alteration or fraudulent use of documents including electronic documents or instruments of identification (e.g. misuse of electronic mail systems and computers including unauthorized/illegal access or surveillance.
11. I will not use language or engage in other behavior that is threatening and that is directed toward any person, including myself.
12. I will not participate in any action or situation involving physical or mental abuse, harassment, bullying, cyber-bullying, intimidation, hazing, pranks and/or other conduct that recklessly or intentionally endangers or threatens the health, safety or welfare of any person or results in damage to CGS or College property.
13. I will not participate in conduct that violates the College’s policies regarding sexual misconduct as stated in the College’s Student Conduct Code and defined in the Title IX Sexual Misconduct Behaviors.
14. I will not use my Roommate’s possessions without their prior consent.
C. SUBSTANCE USE
CGS is alcohol and substance free.
1. I will not possess, purchase, consume or be under the influence of alcohol, regardless of my age, on CGS grounds.
2. I will not be intoxicated, even if I am of legal drinking age, on CGS grounds.
3. I will not provide or serve alcohol to anyone less than 21 years of age.
4. I will not manufacture or sell alcohol either directly or indirectly.
5. I will not display advertisements of alcohol that are visible outside my Room.
6. I will not possess, share, sell or use kegs, beer bongs, beer balls or other common-source containers of alcohol, nor will I possess alcohol or alcohol containers intended for or used by a group.
7. I will not allow possession, consumption or storage of alcohol in my Room at any time.
8. I will not use, possess, possess with intent to deliver, deliver, manufacture, purchase, sell, share, distribute, transport, or be under the influence of illegal drugs or controlled substances as defined in chapter 69.50 RCW or Title 21 U.S.C Section 802 including, but not limited to, any quantity of marijuana.
9. While state law permits the recreational use of marijuana, federal law prohibits such use on CGS grounds and College premises or in connection with CGS and College activities. Possession of a medical marijuana license or prescription does not provide exemption from this policy.
10. I will not be knowingly in the presence of marijuana, illegal drugs or controlled substances.
11. I will not possess any drug paraphernalia.
12. I will not smoke or use electronic cigarettes or vaporizers or permit my guests to smoke or use electronic cigarettes or vaporizers in my Room or on CGS grounds except in the designated smoking area.
1. I understand that only I and my assigned Roommate may reside in my Room.
2. I understand that I may be held responsible for any violation of CGS and College policies, rules, regulations or other standards of conduct by my guests on CGS grounds.
3. I will meet my guests at the entrance of CGS and accompany them at all times while on CGS grounds.
4. I will sign-in all of my guests with CGS staff members between 9am to 10pm. All guests that enter CGS must sign-in.
5. I will not allow my guests to occupy my Room unless I am also present.
6. I will not allow my guests to stay overnight in my Room unless I obtain the prior consent of my Roommate and submit an Overnight Guest Form in eRezLife at least 24 hours in advance of the guests’ stay. I will not pressure my Roommate to consent to my guests staying overnight.
7. I understand I am limited to no more than two overnight guests at one time.
8. I will not allow my guests to stay overnight more than two consecutive nights.
9. I will have guests no more than a total of nine nights during my Occupancy Period.
10. I will ensure that the presence of my guests will not restrict my Roommate from free access to our Room, or create a situation that would infringe on my Roommate’s right to remain undisturbed.
11. CGS and the College have sole authority to determine the eligibility of any guest, authority to require that any guest leave CGS and may prohibit any guest from being on CGS grounds and College premises. I will cooperate with any request by CGS or the College that my guests leave, and I agree not to allow anyone who I know to have been prohibited or excluded from CGS by CGS or the College to be present in my Room or on CGS grounds.
E. SAFETY & SECURITY
1. I will not provide CGS grounds access to someone I do not know.
2. I will not lend or give my Room access card or physical key to anyone nor will I use the Room access card or physical key of another student.
3. I will not duplicate or misuse a CGS key.
4. I will not possess candles. (For ceremonial candle use, contact the CGS Resident Manager.)
5. I will not burn incense or anything with an open flame.
6. I will not sleep or allow my guests to sleep in Common Areas.
7. I will not use, store or possess fireworks, ammunition, explosives, flammable liquids, propane, other compressed gases, Spray paint or other hazardous materials.
8. I will not:
a. Possess, use, manufacture, transport, display, sell or distribute any firearms, electroshock weapons, air powered guns (e.g. BB guns, air soft guns, pellet guns, paint guns) or other weapons or replicas of any of the above-mentioned items.
b. Possess any knife having a blade longer that three inches that is not used for culinary purposes, or replicas of the above mentioned item.
c. Possess any knife having a blade that projects or swings into position by force of a spring (e.g. switchblade).
d. Intentionally wield or brandish any item capable of producing bodily harm in a manner that intimidates another person or warrants fear for safety of another person.
9. I will not under any circumstance use outside of the intended purpose, hang anything on, or tamper with any safety device, sign or equipment including, but not limited to, fire pull stations, smoke detectors, heat detectors, sprinklers, sprinkler valves, sprinkler pipes, water pipes, fire extinguishers or alarm systems. I will report safety equipment malfunctions to CGS staff members immediately.
10. If I am responsible for fire alarm activation due to smoke from cooking, I may be charged for costs associated with the response by fire safety personnel.
11. I will not enter or exit through any window except as a health or safety emergency egress out of a building.
12. I will not throw, drop, propel or pour anything from windows or exit doors.
13. I will not access the roof, climb on the sides of the building or be on the outside ledges of the building.
1. I will not allow or keep any pets or animals on the CGS premises.
a. With exception of fish in no larger than 5 gallon tank.
G. COMMUNICATION & COMPUTING
1. I will read all correspondence and information sent by CGS to my College email account, CGS mailbox, posted to my Room door, and I will promptly respond if necessary.
2. I will use eRezLife to access and complete necessary housing forms.
3. I will keep my local address and permanent address current in MyPierce.
4. I will use College computer resources in accordance with all College policies and applicable laws including, but not limited to, the College’s Computer Information Systems Resources Acceptable Use and WAC 132K-135-070.18.
5. I will not cyberstalk, cyberbully or online harass as defined in WAC 132K-135-070.6.
1. I will not use or possess prohibited equipment, furniture, or appliances including, but not limited to, halogen lamps, space heaters, air conditioners, open-flame or open-coil appliances (fondue pots, toaster ovens, electric or gas table top burner), full-size appliances, multiple appliances that exceed the usage limits of my Room, or apartment size furniture (e.g. large chair, couch, table, wall storage shelf.)
a. I may request approval for a mini refrigerator up to 4.4 cubic feet in my Room.
b. Toasters may only be used in the community Kitchen.
2. I will not cook in Common Areas including, but not limited to, the TV Lounge, Study Room, Quiet Room, Fitness Room, Laundry, lobby, bathrooms, hallways, open study spaces except in the community Kitchen.
a. I may do limited cooking in the Dining Hall and BBQ courtyard. If I plan to cook in these spaces, I must inform CGS staff members before I start cooking.
3. I will not leave cooking equipment in the community Kitchen unattended while in use.
a. If using in my Room, I will turn off all cooking equipment including, but not limited to, electric water kettles, rice cookers or crock pots, when unattended or I leave my Room.
4. I will not tamper with or interfere with the operation of security systems, locks, unlock doors designated to be locked or prop open any door.
5. I will familiarize myself with and abide by emergency evacuation instructions and procedures, including, but not limited to, evacuation drills.
6. I will keep my Room and Common Areas clean, orderly and in good condition at all times, and I will comply within 24 hours with any CGS-prescribed corrective action. I will be responsible for any charges that result from my failure to keep my Room or Common Areas clean, orderly and in good condition.
7. I will not obstruct any walkway, hallway, door or any part of the CGS grounds.
8. I will not put any decorative lighting, decoration, unauthorized object or equipment in the halls or exits.
9. I will not display or hang the following items on the exterior of Room doors: decorative lighting, large combustible items, items that hang from door frames, and items that cover the Room number.
10. I may have artificial and living potted plants in my Room.
11. I may decorate with LED lights or with nonelectrical (battery operated) decorations.
12. I will not allow light bulbs or lighted decorations to come in contact with combustible items.
13. I will turn off all electrical decorations when my Room is unoccupied.
14. I will use no more than 1 extension cord or wall tap. It will be surge protected with a minimum 1080 Joules, and no longer than 5-foot cord.
15. I will not place, store, display or hang any items on or outside windows, hallways or any other Common Areas.
16. I will not vandalize, destroy, damage or tamper with or move materials posted by or the property of the College, College contractors and vendors, other residents or their guests from their designated locations.
17. I will not operate, park or store bicycles, motorized scooters or motorcycles on CGS premises except in designated bike parking areas.
18. I will enter only bathrooms consistent with my gender.
19. I will not use my Room or the CGS premises for commercial purposes or financial profit.
20. I will not post any materials outside my Room except as allowed in the Residential Life Posting & Distribution Policy in the Resident Handbook.
21. I will not solicit or distribute materials except as allowed in the Residential Life Posting & Distribution Policy in the Resident Handbook.
22. I will place garbage and recyclable items in specifically designated collection sites. I may be required to pay any applicable Lakewood fines for disposing or recyclables in improper waste containers.
23. I will not install, alter or remove any fixtures, mechanisms, or locks in CGS. This includes, but is not limited to, removing windows or screens, installing shelves or hooks, damaging walls, painting or paneling surfaces, removing blinds, replacing light fixtures and tampering with the wall heater and thermostat. I will not paint of make any permanent changes to my Room.
I. RESIDENT LIFE CONDUCT PROCESS & APPEALS
1. I understand I can find the Residence Life Conduct Process, sanctions and appeals information in the Resident Handbook which is also in eRezLife.