Pierce College Library Code of Conduct – Puyallup
Pierce College Library offers a rich learning environment with unique spaces designed for research and inquiry, consultation with library faculty, individual study, collaboration, and design with multimedia software -- all designed to increase student engagement with ideas.
Learning thrives in an atmosphere of mutual respect, courtesy, cooperation, and open-minded inquiry. Use of library spaces and resources is a privilege, and all are expected to help create an atmosphere consistent with the Pierce College Student Code of Conduct.
Students are responsible for knowing Library policies and expectations for behavior. Refer to Library Website for all library policies and the college website for the Student Code of Conduct.
- Food: Enjoy food only at the tables near the library entrance.
Drinks: Only containers with secure screw-tops are welcome in the general library. No drinks at computers.
- Phones and other devices (that means ear buds, too!): Turn ringers and/or speakers off and keep volume low. Can the person next to you hear it?
- Conduct conversations briefly and quietly. Working in a group? Please consider others around you are working on their own projects.
- Personal belongings: Keep items with you at all times! The library is not responsible for lost or stolen items and will take unattended items to Campus Safety. If it’s valuable to you, it’s valuable to others.
- House rules: Please help create a positive environment in our library. Library staff may ask users to leave if they create a disturbance, refuse to abide by library policies, or pose a safety threat. Campus Safety or police may be called to assist staff. Continued violation may result in further action.
- Children: Children 12 and younger must be supervised at all times by an adult.
- Community users may use the library's resources on a limited basis. Please ask staff about borrowing materials and using computers.
- Intellectual property and Internet use: Pierce College complies with all copyright and electronic access policies and laws. Inquire at the Reference Desk or Ask Desk for help.
- Use of tobacco products and e-cigarettes is not permitted in the library. Smoking is restricted to designated areas on the Pierce College Puyallup campus.