About the Multicultural Leadership Institute (MLI)
The Multicultural Leadership Institute (MLI) offers students a free 18-hour diversity-training workshop track called EMBRACE (Educating Myself For Better Racial Awareness and Cultural Enrichment). The workshop will provide community service and service-learning opportunities.
Multicultural activities and awareness programming is conducted by the Student Programsdepartment on each campus. For information on ethnic or multicultural student clubs, contact your campus Student Programs Department.
In the Multicultural Leadership Institute (MLI), we like to say “Break bread together.”
This means that we want people from a wide variety of diverse backgrounds and experiences to spend time together, to understand, appreciate, and value each other, and in turn go out and do that in the world around them.
In addition, we are looking at how to be multicultural leaders in challenging times and wrestling with how to pursue justice, healing, and reconciliation in a world too often divided. The MLI program explores topics related to culture, social justice and reconciliation. We do not want to stop at justice, but want to think about how to build strong, diverse, yet interconnected and supportive individuals and communities.
MLI is open to all currently enrolled Pierce College Fort Steilacoom students. The program is active during the fall, winter, and spring quarters.
MLI Co-Curricular Certificate Options
There are multiple ways for students to earn an MLI co-curricular (non-academic) certificate each quarter, and the activities are designed to accommodate students schedules:
- Participation Certificate: Attend 3 workshops during the quarter
- Intensive Certificate: Attend the intensive workshop only. The intensive workshop is typically a one-day seminar, offered once each quarter. It usually takes place on a day in which students do not have classes.
- Bread Breakers Certificate: Must attended at least 3 workshops during the quarter AND attend the intensive workshop. Students who complete these requirements will earn a framed certificate.
Benefits of Joining MLI
- Develop personally to learn more about your own culture, strengthen your communication skills, and enhance your knowledge about other cultures.
- Network to build alliances with Pierce College faculty, staff, administrators and student leaders.
- Earn a co-curricular certificate.
- Meet other Pierce College students and get more connected to the college community.
Fall 2020 MLI Schedule
All fall workshops are virtual on Zoom. Please see student email or the Student Life Canvas page for Zoom login info.
- Oct. 2, 1 p.m., Zoom
- Oct. 9, 1 p.m., Zoom
- Nov. 6, 1 p.m., Zoom
- Nov. 20, 1 p.m., Zoom
Interested in Joining Us?
MLI is active in the fall, winter and spring quarters only.
In 2008, Pierce College Multicultural Leadership Institute received the Voice of Inclusion Medallion for Exemplary Program. This is a nationwide distinction awarded by the American College Personnel Association (ACPA).
We are partners with the Emerging Leaders Academy.