About the Multicultural Leadership Institute
The Multicultural Leadership Institute (MLI) offers students free diversity training workshops and trainings which they can participate in to earn a co-curricular certificate.
There are multiple ways for students to earn an MLI certificate each quarter. To earn the EMBRACE (Educating Myself For Better Racial Awareness & Cultural Enrichment) certificate, students must attend a minimum of three workshops AND the intensive seminar. Students can earn a participation certificate by attending three workshops per quarter or if they only attend the intensive seminar.
Benefits of joining MLI include:
- Develop personally to learn more about one’s own culture, strengthen your communication skills, and enhance your knowledge about other cultures.
- Network to build alliances with Pierce College faculty, staff, administrators and student leaders.
- Earn an MLI EMBRACE Co-Curricular certificate or participation certificate.
- Put the diversity training into actions with service-learning and off-campus learning opportunities.
- Meet other Pierce College students and get more connected to the college community!
Winter 2018 MLI Schedule
- MLI 101
Friday, January 5, 12–1 p.m. in CAS 530
- One Household, Two Nations: Growing Up in an International Family
Friday, January 19, 12–1 p.m. in CAS 530
- Roots of Culture: Exploring Worldviews
Friday, February 2, 12–1 p.m. in CAS 530
- MLI Intensive Seminar
Thursday, Feb. 8th, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
SPACE LIMITED/ MUST RSVP TO ATTEND
More information available in Student Life Office (CAS 418)
No classes are scheduled on February 8.
- To Pakistan & Back! Living in Between the Stereotypes
Friday, February 23, 12–1 p.m. in CAS 530
- That’s In There?!: The Constitution and Its Social Justice Legacy
Friday, March 9, 12–1 p.m. in CAS 530
Interested in Joining Us?
MLI is active in the fall, winter and spring quarters only.
What Students Are Saying About MLI
"MLI has been the support system that I never knew I could have at a large institution"
— Jessica MCKay
"Before MLI, I was hesitant in sharing anything of my culture. I isolated my East-Indian heritage from any aspect of my social life. But after attending the MLI weekend Intensive, I couldn't wait to share anything and everything about my culture. Now I embrace with both arms open."
— Paradeep Singh
"I am a first generation college student. When I first started here at Pierce, I felt separated from my school experience. I didn't have people to talk about school. Thanks to MLI, I feel connected to the college. MLI introduced me to a lot of great people that have different backgrounds and cultures than me. The people I met in MLI have become my support system I lacked when I started here."
— James Campbell
In 2008, Pierce College Multicultural Leadership Institute received the Voice of Inclusion Medallion for Exemplary Program.
This is a nationwide distinction awarded by the American College Personnel Association (ACPA).
We are partners with the Emerging Leaders Academy.