Local Anesthesia for Dental Hygienists
(Maximum participants 16)
Details of Course Structure
Required on-site attendance: March 19-22, 2018, 7:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- Total clock hours is 50. This equates to three (3) Pierce College quarter credits.
- You will receive a Certificate of Completion once you successfully pass all competency requirements of the course.
- Both the online study and in-class/on-site attendance is required.
- Fifteen (15) hours. Must have computer and internet access.
- Begins approximately six (6) weeks prior to on-site attendance.
- On-site attendance is at Pierce College Fort Steilacoom in Lakewood, WA
- 40 hours over four days. Includes didactic, lab peer clinical experience.
- You must agree to be a human subject to attend this course. If you cannot be a human subject, please contact us prior to applying to discuss potential options.
Costs, Texts and Supplies
- Tuition is $1,600, paid at the time of registration. Includes Liability Insurance. Please see the refund policy located on the Application page.
- Supplies, materials, rental fees, instruments, etc. are estimated at $300, paid the first day of class.
- Required textbook and DVD are $160 (estimate):
- Bassett, K., DiMarco, A., & Naughton, D. (2014). Local Anesthesia for Dental Professionals, 2nd Ed. Prentice Hall. ISBN-13: 978-0133077711.
- Royer & Paarmann. (2012). Techniques for Successful Local Anesthesia DVD. ISBN-13: 978-0132725392
- Students may purchase their textbook through any online source, including Pearson Education, Amazon.com, Walmart.com, and Barnes & Noble.com.
Personal Protective Equipment
- Pierce College furnishes students with lab coats.
- If a student damages the lab coat, an additional charge will apply to replace the lab coats and collected before the Certificate of Completion and licensing documents are provided.
- Students are expected to be clean, wear close-toed shoes with non-mesh uppers and non-skid soles.
- Scrubs are acceptable and/or full length pants in a neutral color such as beige, tan, taupe, etc. Pants may not touch the ground and must have full coverage (no low-rise pants).
- Jeans are acceptable in labs only and may not have any holes or tears in them.
- Additional detailed information will be sent to you in the information packet in mid-January.
Safety Glasses and Loupes
- Students must furnish their own appropriate safety glasses based on OSHA guidelines for Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Magnification support is recommended such as very strong magnifying glasses or loupes.
Lead Course Professor
Kathy B. Bassett, BSDH, RDH, MEd
Professor Bassett is the lead instructor for the local anesthesia course. She co-authored the local anesthesia textbook, released in its second edition. Her textbook is one recommended by the Western Regional Examining Board as a reference for their exams and is used nationwide by several dental hygiene and dental programs. She also assists in the restorative course.
We encourage you to contact Professor Bassett if you have any specific questions about the course structure or content.