Nitrous Oxide Psychosedation Course
(Maximum participants 20)
Details of Course Structure
Required on-site attendance: March 23, 2018, 7:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- Total clock hours is 15. This equates to one (1.5) Pierce College quarter credit.
- You will receive a Certificate of Completion once you successfully pass all competency requirements of the course.
- Both the online study and in-class/on-site attendance is required.
- Five (5) hours. Must have computer and internet access.
- Begins approximately one (1) week prior to on-site attendance.
- On-site attendance is at Pierce College Fort Steilacoom in Lakewood, WA.
- Eight (8) hours in one day. Includes didactic, lab peer clinical experience.
- You must agree to be a human subject to attend this course. If you cannot be a human subject, please contact us prior to applying to discuss potential options.
NOTE: Other healthcare providers MAY be eligible to take this course. Please contact us to enquire.
Costs, Texts and Supplies
- Tuition is $350, paid at the time of registration and includes liability insurance. Our refund policy is on the Application page.
- Supplies, materials, rental fees, instruments, etc. are $100 (estimate), paid the first day of class.
- Required textbook (choose only ONE):
- Taking the Local Anesthesia course, buy this book:
Bassett, K., DiMarco, A., & Naughton, D. (2014). Local Anesthesia for Dental Professionals, 2nd Ed. Prentice Hall. ISBN-13: 978-0133077711.
Estimated cost: $90
- Only taking the Nitrous Oxide course, option to buy this book:
Clark, M. & Brunick, A. Handbook of Nitrous Oxide and Oxygen Sedation, 3rd Ed. Mosby. ISBN-13: 9780323048279
Estimated cost: $50
- Students may purchase their textbook through any online source including Pearson Education, Amazon.com, Walmart.com, and Barnes & Noble.com.
Personal Protective Equipment
- Pierce College furnishes the students with lab coats.
- If a student damages the lab coat, an additional charge will apply to replace the lab coat and is collected before the Certificate of Completion and licensing documents are provided.
- Students are expected to be clean, and to wear close-toed shoes with non-mesh uppers and non-skid soles.
- Scrubs are acceptable and/or full length pants in a neutral color such as beige, tan, taupe, etc. Pants may not touch the ground and must have full coverage (no low-rise pants). Jeans are acceptable in labs only and may not have any holes or tears in them.
- Additional detailed information will be sent to you in the information packet in mid-January.
Safety Glasses and Loupes
Students must bring their own appropriate safety glasses based on OSHA guidelines for Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
Lead Course Professor
Keavin McIntosh, DMD
Dr. McIntosh is the lead instructor for the nitrous oxide course and supervising dentist in the local anesthesia and restorative courses. Since 2001, he has also been an assistant adjunct professor in Pierce College's Dental Hygiene program, teaching nitrous oxide and restorative courses, and working as one of the supervising dentists for the dental hygiene clinics.
We encourage you to contact Professor Dr. McIntosh if you have any specific questions about the course structure or content.