2021 TRIO Upward Bound Warriors EDGE Summer Programs
EDI CARES is excited to offer free summer programming for students participating in TRIO Upward Bound Warriors EDGE. Meet new friends, improve your life skills, and explore new interests! All of our summer opportunities will take place at the Pierce College Fort Steilacoom campus so students will have the opportunity to experience life on a college campus, and meet college mentors and staff.
Our summer programs are scheduled to be in person for summer 2021. We are committed to ensuring the health and safety of all our camp participants, so we have instituted the following protocols:
- The only individuals permitted inside campus buildings are camp participants and camp staff. Parents and/or guardians and anyone not enrolled in our summer programs are prohibited from entering any and all campus buildings.
- Mask wearing is mandatory for all participants and staff. 6 foot social distancing guidelines will be employed at all times.
- Any students who show COVID-19 symptoms will be immediately quarantined and ask to leave the camp premises; they will not be able to return to the camp until they show proof of a negative COVID test.
- Daily health screenings and temperature checks will be completed the morning of each camp.
- All spaces will be sanitized frequently throughout the day and all participants will be given their own camp materials.
- We highly encourage all camp participants and camp staff to get vaccinated and get a negative COVID test prior to starting their camp experience.
Should you have any questions about camp protocols or the programs below, please email EDI CARES at firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to check out our other EDI CARES summer programs for more free enrichment opportunities this summer.
Upward Bound Warriors EDGE Summer Academy
Dates: June 28 - August 6
Open to freshman, sophomores, and juniors participating in the Upward Bound Warriors EDGE program
Each summer, Upward Bound Warriors EDGE students participate in a six-week, academic enrichment program on the Pierce College Fort Steilacoom campus. Summer Academy allows high school students to experience the college environment while taking dynamic classes designed to engage students and prepare them for the rigor of college-level academics.
Summer Program teaches core academic subjects using experiential and popular education models to create culturally relevant and diverse classes for students. This year, student will learn Spanish in the context of the history of the United Farm Workers Movement, natural science with a focus on Polynesian Wayfinding and celestial navigation, and culturally integrated math and English classes. In addition, students will have opportunities to participate in personal workshops, college visits, and cultural field trips.
Upward Bound: Wakanda Women in the Workplace (WWW)
Dates: June 14 - August 13
Open to 2021 high school graduates participating in the Upward Bound Warriors EDGE program
A new program inspired by our 2021 Upward Bound graduates, Wakanda Women in the Workplace is a career and education exploration program for women/women of color. A hybrid of in-person and independent learning, students will identify their unique strengths, research potential career fields, and meet diverse, female professionals from a range of careers. Created to inspire and empower, students will complete this program with a network of professional contacts and a plan for pursing their careers of interest.