Time to Apply to the Program?
Pierce College Dental Hygiene program uses the Dental Hygiene Centralized Application System (DHCAS) through the American Dental Education Association. This website simplifies the process and reduces redundancy for you as an applicant.
All directions on how to submit official transcripts are on this site and an overview is provided below.
The 2020 application cycle opens October 30, 2019 and will close for our program on January 31, 2020 at 11:59 pm PST.
- Applicants must have their completed application submitted by this date and time. Any outstanding items will invalidate your application.
When you enter coursework into the ADEA DHCAS application, the format and content is standardized so that programs may compare course subjects, credit values, and grade values on a level field for all applicants who are seeking admission.
This standardization is achieved by using your coursework to create a standard set of GPAs, ensuring a fair review of all applicants.
DHCAS Directions — Four Sections to Complete
- Complete all portions
- Input where you went to high school and that you graduated. There is no need to upload high school transcripts.
- All college transcripts are required.
- You will input all college course work completed, even your non-dental hygiene prerequisites. In the Program Materials section, you will select the courses you want us to use towards your prerequisites. Note that we do not use all coursework for applicant selection; we only consider the prerequisites.
- Do not add anything to this section. Choose that you have nothing to add.
- Upload Observation Hours, Proof of Payment ($25.00) to the BASDH program at Pierce, if applicable, and Course Substitution email verifications. We suggest that you complete the Observation Hours prior to December.
Directions for Observation Hours:
- Confirm you have completed the Background Check
Directions for Background Check:
- Go to the Castle Branch Website
- Create your account. Do not forget your username or password. You will need both in the event that you are offered a place in the program.
- Once you have created your account, in the “Place Order” field, enter the following package code: PH45
This is specific to your organization and the program will automatically be able to access the information.
- If you are having issues with the application, please contact the Castle Branches Service Desk. Your myCB Service Desk is available to assist you via phone, chat and email Monday–Friday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Sunday, 10 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. EST, 888-914-7279 or email@example.com.
We suggest you watch the training video before beginning your application and visit the Help Center for a Quick Start Guide or questions:
- 2019 DHCAS Applicant Overview Training Video
- ADEA DHCAS Applicant Help Center. Once logged into DHCAS, you can contact Customer Service by clicking the question mark in the upper right corner next to your name and CAS ID.
After Application Validation
Invitation to Testing
After you submit your application, it will be validated or invalidated. If it is validated, you will be invited to test and complete the rest of the application process.
There are no additional fees for the applicant tests, unless otherwise noted below.
Test One: Health Science Reasoning Test (HSRT)
Contact the Pierce College Testing Center to schedule a time to complete this test at Pierce College Fort Steilacoom. The HSRT must be completed no later than 5 p.m. on Friday, March 20, 2020, prior to the onsite Test Two and Test Three.
Applicants who are unable to take the test at Pierce College must contact the Testing Center to coordinate a proctored test in an appropriate facility. The third-party location may require a fee for a proctored test.
The Health Sciences Reasoning Test (HSRT) website has information about the test.
Test Two: Space Relations and Test Three: Writing Sample
These two tests will be administered on Saturday, March 21, 2020 at:
Pierce College Fort Steilacoom
9401 Farwest Dr. S.W.
Lakewood, WA 98498
This is the only available testing date and location for consideration for admission in Summer 2020. Alternative test dates and length of times are not allowed, except as required by law. Applicants are asked to reserve four hours for the tests.
Reasons for Invalidation
The following items invalidate an application. This list is not exhaustive:
- Failure to submit a completed application by the due date posted for the application year. Late applications are invalidated.
- Failure to follow and meet all academic and process criteria as outlined in the dental hygiene application process.
- Failure to complete the criminal background check by the application deadline.
- Failure to correctly submit and meet subsequent due dates for documentation past the application due date.
- Failure to attain a minimum 2.5 GPA in any single dental hygiene prerequisite course and a cumulative 3.3 GPA in all dental hygiene prerequisite courses.
- Failure to pay the application fees.
- Plagiarism or false representation in any way.
- Previous Pierce College Dental Hygiene students, who earned an academic or code of conduct dismissal, may be invalidated or their application points may be reduced up to 10 percent point value at final ranking.
Notification of Acceptance
All applicants will be notified of their offer of acceptance (conditional or unconditional), alternate status, or non-acceptance into the Pierce College Dental Hygiene Program by Pierce College student email sent by the fourth Friday in April.