Time to Apply to the Program?
Pierce College Dental Hygiene program uses the Dental Hygiene Centralized Application System (DHCAS) through the American Dental Education Association. This website simplifies the process and reduces redundancy for you as an applicant.
All directions on how to submit official transcripts are on this site and an overview is provided below.
The 2021 application cycle for our BASDH program is now open! The application deadline is February 1, 2021 at 9 a.m. Pacific Standard Time (PST). The ADEA Dental Hygiene Centralized Application Service (ADEA DHCAS®) provides you and the program with accurate, streamlined and uniform data.
- Application Access
- DHCAS Instructions
- Important to Remember!
- Applicants must have their completed application submitted by the posted deadline.
- Proof of transcripts ordered is a part of the application.
- When you enter coursework into the ADEA DHCAS application, the format and content is standardized so that programs may compare course subjects, credit values, and grade values on a level field for all applicants who are seeking admission.
- This standardization is achieved by using your coursework to create a standard set of GPAs, ensuring a fair review of all applicants.
Need help using the DHCAS site? Contact DHCAS Customer Service at 617-612-2095 or firstname.lastname@example.org
DHCAS Directions — Four Sections to Complete
- Complete all portions
- Input where you went to high school and that you graduated. There is no need to upload high school transcripts.
- All college courses are required, not just the prerequisites.
- You will input all college course work completed, even your non-dental hygiene prerequisites. In the Program Materials section, you will select the courses you want us to use towards your prerequisites. Note that we do not use all coursework for applicant selection; we only consider the prerequisites.
- Pierce College does not require any documentation in this area.
- Proof of Official Transcripts through Fall 2020 ordered and sent electronically to DHCAS, or already received by DHCAS.
- Applications that do not have the official transcripts ordered to be sent to DHCAS, preferably electronically, by the deadline, will be invalidated.
- If the transcripts are not received at DHCAS by March 5, 2021, you will be ineligible for testing and invalidated for this application year.
- If you are completing prerequisite courses in winter 2021, you will be required to submit a new official transcript to DHCAS showing the course(s) completion.
- Proof of payment of the $25.00 Dental Hygiene Program Fee.
- Confirm you have completed the background check.
Directions for the background check:
- Go to the Castle Branch Website
- Create your account. Do not forget your username or password. You will need both in the event that you are offered a place in the program.
- Once you have created your account, in the “Place Order” field, enter the following package code: PH45
This is specific to your organization and the program will automatically be able to access the information.
- If you are having issues with the application, please contact the Castle Branches Service Desk. Your myCB Service Desk is available to assist you via phone, chat and email Monday–Friday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Sunday, 10 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. EST, 888-914-7279 or email@example.com.
We suggest you watch the training video before beginning your application and visit the Help Center for a Quick Start Guide or questions:
- DHCAS Applicant Overview Training Video
- ADEA DHCAS Applicant Help Center. Once logged into DHCAS, you can contact Customer Service by clicking the question mark in the upper right corner next to your name and CAS ID.
After Application Validation
Invitation to Testing
After you submit your application, it will be validated or invalidated. If it is validated, you will be invited to test and complete the rest of the application process.
There are no additional fees for the applicant tests, unless otherwise noted below.
NEW TESTING PROCESS: You will be able to take all three tests in the comfort of your home!
The tests are online through our CANVAS Learning Management System and proctored using HonorLock.
- Two of the tests (Health Science Reasoning Test (HSRT) and the Space Relations Test), you will complete on your own schedule after December 1, 2020 and before March 20, 2021.
- The third test (Writing Essay Test) you will complete on March 20, 2021.
If for any reason you are not going to be able to take the tests at home and need to take them onsite, please contact the Pierce College Testing Center as soon as possible. The due dates for the tests still apply, so please contact us immediately. Alternative test dates and length of times are not allowed, except as required by law.
Test One: Health Science Reasoning Test – Due before March 20, 2021
You will need to complete the HSRT test first. This is a 50 minute test with about 30 questions. Directions will be provided in your Valid Letter and on the CANVAS site.
The Health Sciences Reasoning Test website has information about the test.
Test Two: Space Relations – Due before March 20, 2021
Once you complete the HSRT test, the Space Relations test will automatically open for you in CANVAS. This is a 20 minute test with 35 questions. You do not have to immediately take it, but it must be complete before the March 20 deadline. Directions will be provided in your Valid Letter and on the CANVAS site.
Test Three: Writing Sample
This test will be administered on Saturday, March 20, 2021, online through CANVAS and proctored. This is a 75 minute test with one writing prompt. We use the SAT Grading Rubric to assess your work.
These two tests will be administered on Saturday, March 20, 2021 online and proctored.
Tips for CANVAS and HonorLock Testing
- It is imperative you ensure your availability, reliable internet access, and needed technology prior to testing.
- Please use this guide to ensure you have everything you need for a smooth testing process:
No ability to test online off campus? No problem!
Please contact our Testing Center to schedule the HSRT and Space Relation tests on campus for the week of March 15, 2021. Please email the testing center at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you also need to test on-site for the Writing Essay, you will take this test at the same time as everyone else, on Saturday, March 20, 2021. Arrival time or 8 a.m.
When you call, be sure to identify yourself as a 2021 Applicant to the Bachelor of Applied Science in Dental Hygiene program.
These are the only available testing dates and location for consideration for admission in Summer 2021. Alternative test dates and length of times are not allowed, except as required by law. Applicants are asked to reserve the needed time for all tests.
Reasons for Invalidation
The following items invalidate an application. This list is not exhaustive:
- Failure to submit a completed application by the due date posted for the application year. Late applications are invalidated.
- Failure to follow and meet all academic and process criteria as outlined in the dental hygiene application process.
- Failure to complete the criminal background check by the application deadline.
- Failure to correctly submit and meet subsequent due dates for documentation past the application due date.
- Failure to attain a minimum 2.5 GPA in any single dental hygiene prerequisite course and a cumulative 3.3 GPA in all dental hygiene prerequisite courses.
- Failure to pay the application fees.
- Plagiarism or false representation in any way.
- Previous Pierce College Dental Hygiene students, who earned an academic or code of conduct dismissal, may be invalidated or their application points may be reduced up to 10 percent point value at final ranking.
Notification of Acceptance
All applicants will be notified of their offer of acceptance (conditional or unconditional), alternate status, or non-acceptance into the Pierce College Dental Hygiene Program by Pierce College student email sent no later than the fourth Friday in April.