Students can be admitted to Pierce College without submitting proof of English language proficiency. Students will take an English language placement test on the first day of orientation and will be placed in our Intensive English or college-level program accordingly.
- International TOEFL score of 61 (iBT) /173 (CBT) /500 (PBT) or higher.
- Successful completion of Pierce College IEP Level 4 classes. A TOEFL score is not required.
- IELTS of 5.5 or higher with no band lower than 5.0.
- Sufficient academic standing at an accredited U.S. college or university where English is the language of instruction.
All college-level students must take a placement test to determine placement in college academic classes.
- Step Eiken Grade 2-A.
- Academic placement on the Pierce College Intensive English Program (IEP) Placement Test. Students whose oral and written scores on the Pierce College IEP Placement Test indicate academic-level proficiency can go directly into college classes.
- ITEP score of 4 or higher with no subject area score below 4.
- GTAC: CBT 1050 or higher
- A score of "C" or better in acquiring the Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE).
- A score of "C" or better in acquiring the Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English (CAE).
Language School Tests
Completion of the appropriate level or achievement of appropriate exam score at these schools:
- ELS Language Schools: Level 109; ELS administered Institutional TOEFL score of 500.
- EF: Completed level B2-3
- The New England School of English: Level 10; 500 on New England School of English administered Institutional TOEFL.
- TALK International: completion of Academa 2 level.
- Graduates of other ESL schools: Please inquire if we can accept this as proof of English proficiency.
- Australia, New Zealand, Canada, or the United Kingdom: Official high school completion diploma from accredited institutions or satisfactory scores in national certificate examinations indicating a passing score in English.
- For those who attended U.S. high schools: one year of high school level English/language arts with grades of B or better; U.S. high school attendance must be within two years of the start date at Pierce College.
- Nordic institutions: gymnasium scores of "VG" or "MVG".
- Singapore: At least 4 O level or 5 N level passes.
- Graduates of English-language high schools in other countries, please inquire if we can accept your graduation as proof of English proficiency.