This policy provides a means for periodic assessment of the employment of part-time faculty in accordance with the Pierce College mission and the Pierce College Board of Trustees five Expected outcomes Policies.
The district will employ part-time faculty who are qualified by academic background, degree(s), and/or professional experience to carry out teaching assignments and/or other prescribed duties and responsibilities within the parameters of the P.C.F.T. Negotiated Agreement, and will annually assess the mix of full-time faculty and part-time faculty based on expertise, program need, and available resources.
Instructional Administrators will conduct an annual assessment of the mix of full-time and part-time faculty. Recommendations from the annual assessment will be forwarded to the Executive Team as part of the process to authorize full-time faculty hiring, and to the Part-Time Faculty Taskforce and the P.C.F.T to inform their work.
The employment of part-time faculty include the following:
- It is appropriate to seek part-time faculty for the purpose of teaching occasional courses requiring specialized knowledge or industry experience not present in full-time faculty.
- It is appropriate to seek part-time faculty when student demand, budgetary constraints, or the type of instructional funds precludes the hiring of full time faculty.
- It is appropriate to seek part-time faculty when the quarterly schedule includes additional class sections beyond full-time faculty load.
- It is appropriate to seek part-time faculty for classes delivered in unique modes, locations, or schedules.
- It is appropriate to use part-time faculty in accordance with partnership agreements between the college and other institutions or enterprises.
Pierce College will seek to recruit and retain a diverse part-time faculty.Pierce College follows formal, written hiring and evaluation processes for part-time faculty. Part-time faculty are evaluated using standardized processes that employ multiple indices.
Pierce College will offer an orientation for part-time faculty, including information regarding the institution, the work assignment, available resources, rights and responsibilities, and conditions of employment.
Pierce College will support professional development opportunities for part-time faculty.
The institution's achievement of the above practices will be regularly evaluated during the following processes:
- The annual (fall quarter) determination of new full-time faculty positions, at which time Institutional Administrators consider data describing, among other program information, the full-time/part-time faculty mix and 2-5 year projection of faculty needs.
- The yearly program vitality study, during which Instructional Administrators review the annual Instructional Status Report, which describes full-time/part-time faculty mix and data on student learning and success.
- The ongoing review of the Instructional Strategic Plan developed by Instructional Administrators in collaboration with instructional program coordinators.
On an annual basis full-time/part time mix and data comparing use of part time faculty in previous years is presented to the Part-time Faculty Taskforce and the P.C.F.T to inform their work.
Review and Revision History
|Date||Reviewed/Revised By||Description of any revision, action taken|
|April, 2008||Instructional Administrators||Developed.|
|March 2009||Part-time Faculty Taskforce||Reviewed|
|March 2009||Executive Team||Reviewed|
|March 2009||Instructional Administrators||Approved and forwarded to Cabinet|
|March 4 & 6, 2009||Instructional Divisions|
|March 5, 2009||Cabinet||1st Reading|
|March 10, 2009||Part-time Faculty Taskforce|
|March 11, 2009||Instructional Administrators||Approved document with suggested changes from the Part-time Faculty Taskforce|
|April 2, 2009||Cabinet||2nd Reading, Approved as presented|
|April 8, 2009||Board of Trustees||Approved- April 8, 2009|