Earning College Credit in High School

I Am Currently in High School. Can I Earn College Credits?

What is Advanced Placement?

The Advanced Placement (AP) program consists of college-level courses and examinations for high school students. Pierce College accepts credit for work done in this program in accordance with standards set by the Washington State Board for Community and Technical Colleges. Students who receive AP scores of 3, 4, or 5 in the approved subject areas will be granted AP credit at Pierce College. AP credits will be awarded as “P” grades on the Pierce College transcript and may be used to fulfill prerequisite and degree requirements. You may request transcription of AP credits after completing fifteen (15) college-level credits (courses numbered 100 or higher) at Pierce College with a 2.0 or higher grade point average. No fees apply.

Dual Credit Programs

What is Career and Technical Education (CTE – Formerly Tech Prep)?

Pierce College has agreements with several school districts to award credit for some professional/technical courses taken in high school. Through this program, high school students who complete selected high school courses with a “B” grade or better can earn community/technical college credit. Students must request their CTE (Tech Prep) credits be posted to their college transcripts. For more information, high school students should contact their high school counselor or career specialist, see the Pierce County Careers Consortium website or contact them at 253-583-8803 or 253-583-8816.

What is Running Start?

Running Start is a community college program for academically qualified high school juniors and seniors to enroll in courses to fulfill high school graduation requirements and earn college credit. For more information, contact your high school counselor, or visit our Running Start web page.