Federal Work-Study Frequently Asked Questions

Who Gets Federal Work-Study (FWS) Funds?

Priority is given to students who apply early for financial aid and indicate on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) that they are interested in work-study. All students may work on campus as regular student employees whether they have applied for financial aid or not.

How Do I Apply For Federal Work-Study?

The first step is to apply for financial aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form, and indicate on your FAFSA preferences that you are interested in work-study. The FAFSA can be filled out online and filed electronically at the Federal Student Aid website. The next step is to respond promptly to any request for information from the Financial Aid office.

How Does Federal Work-Study Fit in My Financial Aid Package?

Since federal work-study is financial aid, it must fit in your aid package and fills financial aid need. An important difference from other kinds of aid is that FWS is earned slowly throughout the academic year as you work, while loan and grant funds disburse to your student account at the beginning of each quarter. Accepting FWS will give you the opportunity to seek subsidized employment to meet some of your expenses without increasing your student loan debt. All students with FWS can still look for a regular student employment job and earn wages from a non-work-study job in addition to all other aid you are receiving.

What Are My Responsibilities as a Work-Study Employee?

  1. Search and apply for work study jobs using Pierce College Job Connections
  2. After finding a job, complete the New Hire Forms and return them to the Financial Aid Office.
  3. Inform your supervisor of any changes in your award that may occur due to the following: dropping below 6 credit hours, withdrawing, aid suspension, etc.

How Do I View and Apply for Student Jobs?

Check Pierce College Job Connections for available job openings, or contact employers directly to request an interview. Registered students may apply for both non work-study and work-study jobs. You are encouraged to seek a job relating to your major course of study, and/or high skill level jobs. It is a good opportunity to try out areas of employment that you find interesting. You will be earning money and building skills and experience for your resume, ideally in the field you are preparing to enter. You can make valuable contacts through working, which can provide references and an opportunity to network professionally.

If this is your first time accessing Pierce College Job Connections, you will need to create an account. When filling out your profile, select "Federal Work-Study" as your Applicant Type.

When searching for jobs, be sure to choose "Federal Work Study" for Position Type.