All teacher candidates are required to demonstrate proficiency in reading, writing and math prior to acceptance into a teacher preparation program in the State of Washington. This can be accomplished through the Washington Educator Skills Test-Basic (WEST-B), the SAT or ACT. There is no longer a cut score on these exams, but rather they will be used as part of a holistic assessment of an applicant’s basic skills during the admissions process.
Any exam score used to meet this requirement must be officially sent to the university by the testing company. Official passing score reports must be on file by the BAS-T application due date.
- Request old SAT scores. Pierce College’s School Code is 4103.
- Request old ACT scores. Pierce College’s School Code is 4469.
Preparation Resources for the WEST-B
Contact our Tutoring Center for assistance in preparing for the WEST-B.
- Arrange an initial assessment appointment with the tutoring center supervisor at your respective campus.
Fort Steilacoom: 253-964-6737
- Bring a copy of your unofficial college transcripts or your placement scores to discuss your specific areas of focus.
- Be prepared to work with the supervisor to create an academic support plan that may include a combination of self-paced study, concept tutoring, and academic coaching.
- Library Prep Materials
- Free Online West-B Test Preparations
- WEST B Assessment Resource Hub
- Pierce College Tutoring Center
- Pierce College Writing Center
Financial Supports for the WEST-B
Limited WEST-B vouchers are available for students in need of financial assistance to pay WEST-B testing and registration fees. Vouchers are only available to students applying to or currently enrolled in Pierce College’s Bachelors of Applied Science in Teaching program. Students must complete three subject-specific tutoring sessions for each subject in which they are requesting voucher support and submit a WEST-B Voucher Request Form (below) to the Field Experience and Teacher Certification Manager, AmberRose Houck, in OLY163.