All teacher candidates are required to demonstrate proficiency in reading, writing and math prior to acceptance into a teacher preparation program in the State of Washington. This can be accomplished through the Washington Educator Skills Test-Basic (WEST-B), the SAT or ACT.
Candidates entering a Washington approved teaching preparation program may substitute a passing score on one or more sections of the SAT or ACT for the equivalent passing scores on the WEST-B. The adopted passing scores for SAT and ACT are listed below.
Cut Score Comparison Table
|Subject||WEST-B||Old SAT Score (prior to 3/1/16||New SAT Score (effective 3/1/16)||ACT (prior to 9/1/15)||ACT (effective 9/1/15 to 9/1/16)||ACT (effective 9/1/16)|
|Math||240||515||550 Math section score or 27.5 Math test score||22||22||22|
|Reading||240||500||27 Reading test score||22||22||22|
|Writing||240||490||28 Writing test score||8||23||8|
|Reading & Writing Combined Section||990||550 Evidence-based Reading & Writing section score|
|More information on the WEST-B, including how to register for the exams, can be found on the West-B Testing website.|
Any exam score used to meet this requirement must be officially sent to the university by the testing company. Official passing score reports must be on file by the BAS-T application due date.
- Request old SAT scores. Pierce College’s School Code is 4103.
- Request old ACT scores. Pierce College’s School Code is 4469.
Preparation Resources for the WEST-B
Contact our Tutoring Center for assistance in preparing for the WEST-B.
- Arrange an initial assessment appointment with the tutoring center supervisor at your respective campus.
Fort Steilacoom: 253-964-6737
- Bring a copy of your unofficial college transcripts or your placement scores to discuss your specific areas of focus.
- Be prepared to work with the supervisor to create an academic support plan that may include a combination of self-paced study, concept tutoring, and academic coaching.