Students gathering in front of the North Entrance of the Cascade Building

Federal and State Financial Aid


Other Resources

Federal Pell Grant

The Federal Pell Grant program provides need-based grants to low-income undergraduate students to promote access to post-secondary education.


  • Available to Undergraduates pursuing their first undergraduate degree and not enrolled in a professional program.
  • Must complete a FAFSA Application each year.

Award Amounts

  • Maximum award amount is $7,395 for the 2023 - 2024 academic year depending on the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) calculated by the FAFSA. 
  • The smaller the EFC, the larger the possible award.
  • Students can receive a maximum of six years of Pell Grant Awards.

Enrollment Requirements

  • Students must be enrolled full-time (12 credits or more) to receive their maximum award eligibility.
  • Students enrolled in 9 to 11 credits will receive 75 percent of their maximum award eligibility.
  • Students enrolled in 6 to 8 credits will receive 50 percent of their maximum award eligibility.
  • A minimum award may be made for student enrolled in less than six credits per term.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) is designed to assist undergraduates with the highest level of need. Award amounts will vary depending on the availability of funds and student's EFC.


  • File your FAFSA each year.
  • Student must be enrolled at least half-time (six credits).
  • Student must be Pell Grant eligible.

Washington State Passport to Careers

The Passport to Careers program helps former foster youth and unaccompanied homeless youth prepare for and succeed in college with access to a scholarship and support services.


  • Have been in the care of the Washington State, tribal, or federal foster care system after age 13, or experienced unaccompanied homelessness in the prior academic year or later.
  • Be a resident of Washington State, or your case is based in Washington State.
  • You are or will be enrolled at least half-time by age 21.
  • Have not yet earned a Bachelor’s Degree and are not pursuing a degree in theology.

To Apply

Washington College Grant

The Washington College Grant is a state grant program for Washington residents with exceptional financial need.


  • File either the FAFSA or WASFA application each year.
  • Have a family income of equal to or less than 70 percent of the state median.
  • Be a Washington resident (dependent students' residency is based on parents' resident status).
  • Be pursuing a certificate or associate degree.
  • Not be pursuing a degree in theology.

Award Amounts

  • Award amounts vary each year based on available funds. Review the eligibility and award charts for the most current information on these awards.
  • Students can receive Washington College Grant funding for a maximum of five years or 125% of their academic program length.

Federal Direct Stafford Loan Program

Federal student loans are low-interest loans which require repayment. Pierce College participates in the Direct Stafford Loan program which provides the best benefits for you as a borrower. This program is not a credit history-based program. Both subsidized and unsubsidized loans are available. To learn more, please review the Steps for Loan Borrowers section. You can also view our Official Cohort Default rate at the Federal Student Aid website by entering OPEID 005000 for Pierce College.

To qualify, students must complete the FAFSA each year.

Federal Parent PLUS Loan Program

The Federal Parent PLUS loan program is a credit-based loan program available to all qualifying parents. You’ll first need to complete the FAFSA before your parents can borrow money under this program. If your parents are denied the loan because of their credit rating you will be eligible for additional funds under this loan program. Contact the Financial Aid Office if this situation applies to you.

To qualify, students must complete the FAFSA each year.

Student Employment (Federal and State Work-Study)

Work-study programs offer you the opportunity to gain valuable work experience while earning money for college. Some jobs can be a great opportunity to enhance your current course work as well as gain valuable real-world work experience. Receiving a Federal Work-Study award does not guarantee employment.

Students may work a maximum of 19 hours per week while attending Pierce College. Work-study is awarded to students who demonstrate financial need.

To qualify, students must complete the FAFSA each year.

Pierce College Day Care/Emergency Grants

Pierce College is committed to reducing the financial barriers that may prevent our students from being successful in the classroom. We offer several grants to Washington Resident Students with extenuating circumstances. Please contact the Financial Aid Office to learn more about these grants.

Pierce College Grant

The Pierce College Grant is an institutional grant that does not have to be repaid. This grant is available to you if you’re a Washington State resident with high financial need. Eligibility is determined by the Financial Aid Office.

Pierce College Tuition Waiver

Washington residents demonstrating financial need may be eligible to have all or part of their resident tuition paid. Eligibility is determined at the time of awarding, and students must submit a FAFSA or WASFA application to be considered for this award. This award only applies to tuition. Students must pay their mandatory and course fees. No refunds will be issued on awards exceeding tuition costs.

Pierce College Foundation Scholarships

Pierce College has many scholarship opportunities available to students. Visit Foundation Scholarships for application information and a list of current scholarships.

Other Types of Aid

Private Loans

Most banks and credit unions offer educational loans. We recommend contacting several banks and/or credit unions to find the most competitive rates and benefits that best meet your needs. Private loans can cost more than the loans available from the federal government under the Stafford loan program.