Basic Food, Employment and Training (BFET)

The Basic Food Employment & Training (BFET) Program is a federally funded employment program designed to assist you in obtaining education so you can enter/reenter the workforce. BFET supports students with qualifying for and maintaining their food and childcare benefits while enrolled at Pierce College.

How can BFET participation support me?

  • Qualify for Basic Food Assistance (SNAP) through BFET instead of working 20 hours per week
  • Assistance with qualifying for DSHS-subsidized childcare
  • Assistance with identifying possible funding sources
  • Referrals to on-campus and off-campus resources

How do I enroll in BFET?

  • Qualify for Basic Food Assistance (SNAP) and complete all DSHS reviews by the DSHS-assigned due date
  • Pursue a degree or certificate from Pierce College (excluding the Bachelors of Applied Science degrees)
  • Complete the BFET intake process with a Workforce staff member

What am I committing to?

  • Identify and make progress towards an employment goal
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress (2.0 GPA)
  • Participate in monthly progress reports

In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation), disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity.

Frequently Asked Questions

Should I apply for BFET before applying for Basic Food Assistance (SNAP)?

We recommend completing a Basic Food Assistance application before applying to the BFET program. You can apply for Basic Food Assistance online or by phone at 1-877-501-2233. If you need assistance navigating the application, please contact Eleni Palmisano at or call 253-722-3429.

DSHS turned down my Basic Food Assistance application. Can I still apply for BFET?

Receiving Basic Food Assistance is a requirement to enroll in BFET. If your application was denied due to not meeting work participation requirements, please contact us.

Could I pursue a Bachelors of Applied Science degree at Pierce College and be eligible for BFET?

Students enrolled in Bachelor of Applied Science (BAS) programs are not eligible. However, if you have questions about other ways to qualify for Basic Food Assistance through work activities, please feel free to contact us.

Can funding be provided through BFET?

On a case-by-case basis, BFET may be able to offer limited support services. Pierce College BFET funding may be approved only when no other source of funding is available. Other restrictions to BFET funding may also apply.

Does the daycare at Pierce College accept DSHS childcare assistance?

Yes. To learn more, please visit the Child Development Centers web page.

Where can I find information and resources about food and childcare assistance?