How Does WorkFirst Help?

  • WorkFirst at Pierce College allows students who are receiving Temporary Assistance for Needy Families cash assistance (TANF) from DSHS to count their school hours as their WorkFirst work activity.
  • WorkFirst participation may qualify you for DSHS-subsidized childcare.
  • We report your school participation to DSHS on your behalf.
  • Limited funding for tuition and books is available under some circumstances.
  • We offer referrals to on-campus and off-campus resources that may help you succeed in school.

What Do I Need to Apply?

Frequently Asked Questions

Should I apply for TANF before applying for WorkFirst?

Yes. Once you apply for TANF and complete your DSHS orientation, your new case worker will send us a referral and we will call you into the office to complete the required WorkFirst paperwork.

What else should I do before applying for WorkFirst?

You must be registered for classes before we can complete your paperwork. As soon as you register and are sure your classes won’t change, we can get you enrolled in WorkFirst.

Are students pursuing a Direct Transfer degree (DTA) or Bachelor’s degree eligible for WorkFirst?

Unfortunately, no. However, if you are interested in exploring professional/technical programs which may meet your needs, or have questions about other ways to qualify for TANF through work activities, please feel free to contact us.

Does WorkFirst pay for _______?

In most cases, DSHS will pay for the support services you need to succeed in school. Depending on availability, this may include DSHS-supplied gas cards and bus passes to keep you coming to campus.

Does the daycare at Pierce College accept DSHS childcare assistance?

Yes. To learn more, visit the Child Development Centers web page.

If I receive Tribal TANF, am I eligible for services through the Pierce College WorkFirst department?

No. If you receive Tribal TANF, please contact your SPIPA case manager to request support services.