Please contact the service provider to verify information as some services may have alternate hours and/or offerings at this time.
Do you need a lawyer?
- Pierce County Legal Assistance Organizations — A list of organizations that help with legal problems in Pierce County.
- 211 Washington Information Network — General legal aid in Washington State; search by location.
- Tacoma Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service — Helps connect callers with the right attorney.
Are you low-income and need legal help?
- Tacoma Pro Bono — Helps with civil legal issues in Pierce County when you cannot afford to hire an attorney. You do not have to be a Pierce County resident to get help with your case.
- Northwest Justice Project CLEAR Project — For low income clients; no criminal law or personal injury, but can give a referral.
- Washington Law Help — A nonprofit organization offering low-cost legal assistance in civil (non-criminal) legal matters.
Are you or a family member detained at the Northwest Detention Center in Tacoma?
- Northwest Immigrant Rights Project, Tacoma Office — Serving only people detained at the Northwest Detention Center (NWDC)
Are you or a family member a victim of domestic violence?
- Pierce College Title IX Office - Title IX is a federal law which prohibits discrimination in education based upon gender, which includes relationship violence. If your abuser is also a Pierce College student or employee, we may be able to help. Even if your abuser is not a Pierce College student or employee, we are able to offer you support, resources, and take measures to increase your safety on campus. To learn more about Title IX or to make a complaint against a student or employee please visit our website.
- Phone: 253-840-8472 - Sean Cooke, Pierce College Title IX Coordinator
- Pierce College Title IX Office
- Crystal Judson Family Justice Center - Assistance for victims and children of domestic violence through comprehensive victim services. Located in Pierce County, but offers a variety of services and supports for anyone fleeing from a domestic violence situation.
- Phone: 253-798-4166 and 800-764-2420
- Crystal Judson Family Justice Center website
- YWCA Pierce County - Assistance to survivors of domestic violence and their children. All survivors are welcome regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity or expression, religion, or sexual orientation.
- Phone: 253-383-2593
- YWCA website
- Pierce County Domestic Violence Helpline
- Phone: 253-798-4166 and 800-764-2420
- DAWN - DAWN supports, empowers, and shelters survivors of domestic abuse in South King County and helps to keep us all safe by educating our community to respond to and prevent violence.
- Phone: 425-656-7867 and 877-465-7234
- DAWN website
Are you an immigrant or refugee and need legal assistance?
- Northwest Immigrant Rights Project — Nonprofit that offers legal assistance to immigrants and refugees.
Are you an undocumented student and need to prepare for an ICE or police raid?
Are you reentering into the community from prison after incarceration?
- Washington Reentry Guide — Quick links to common questions about reentry from experts in Washington state law.
- Washington State Department of Corrections Reentry into the Community — Includes links and info about firearms, explosives, and ammunition possession; voting rights; and other resources.
- New Connections — Helps people successfully re-enter the community after incarceration.
- Community Partnership for Transition Services (CPTS) — A collection of agencies and individuals that work together to support successful transitions for people returning to our communities after incarceration.
Do you need help with your taxes?
- United Way — Information on 23 sites in Pierce County offering FREE tax preparation services for low-income individuals and families.
- Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) — A program that offers free tax help to people who generally make $55,000 or less, persons with disabilities, and limited English-speaking taxpayers who need assistance preparing their own tax returns.
- Goodwill — FREE tax assistance and filing.