people sitting on a bench at a bus stop, with a transit map on the wall behind them

Some services may be closed or unavailable in-person due to the COVID-19 pandemic and Governor Inslee's Stay Home, Stay Healthy order.

Do you need emergency gas money?

Pierce College Emergency Gas Card

Pierce College students in need of temporary assistance for gas purchases may visit the Welcome Center at Fort Steilacoom or the mental health Faculty Counselor’s office at Puyallup for a $20 gas card. This assistance is available up to two times a year. Student must be currently registered for classes and cannot have an outstanding balance owed to the college.

Do you live within 8 miles of the Puyallup campus and need a free ride home?

Pierce College Puyallup – Pierce Transit and Lyft

Students who live within the approximate eight-mile zone from Pierce College Puyallup can request a ride through Lyft between 8 a.m. and 10:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, from the college’s existing bus stop to their home. Students who live outside the designated zone can request a ride to a transit center. 

  • To see if you live within the Lyft zone, enter your address on the Pierce Transit website
    • Students can download the Lyft app on their smartphones, create an account, and enter promo code 18RAIDERS when requesting the free ride home.  
    • For students who do not have a smartphone, or for students who are in need of a wheelchair accessible vehicle 
      • Call 253-581-8032 between 6 a.m. and 10:30 p.m. and a Pierce Transit customer service representative will arrange their trip. 
  • For more information about the program, including an interactive map showing zone boundaries and transit drop-off locations, visit the Pierce Transit website.

Do you need a free bus pass?

Pierce College FREE Student Bus Pass

Pierce College students on both Fort Steilacoom and Puyallup campuses have access to free bus passes to ride Pierce Transit bus lines. Students must be registered in a minimum of five credits to access these FREE bus pass. Passes will be active through the first Friday of the following quarter of registration. Passes must be renewed each quarter. Puyallup campus students have agreed to pay for this resource through student fees on a permanent basis. Fort Steilacoom students will have this resource available to them up to December 31, 2019, at which time continuation of the availability of these passes will be determined.

To receive your student pass, follow these steps:

  1. Visit to download the Hopthru app in the App Store or Google Play Store OR Text the word “hopthru” to 43506 to receive a link. 
  2. Create an account in the Hopthru app, then top the menu button located on the bottom left of the main screen. Tap on “Register for Pass Program.” 
  3. Enter your school email address. Please do not enter your personal email address; only your school email address is linked to your student bus pass. 
  4. Verify your Hopthru account via a link sent to your student email.

Are you a senior, have a disability, or have Medicare and need reduced fare on public transit?

Regional Reduced Fare Permit (RRFP) — Puget Sound Region

  • The RRFP program entitles senior riders (age 65+), riders with a disability, and Medicare holders to reduced fares on the following public transportation systems in the Puget Sound Region: Metro Transit, Community Transit, Everett Transit, Pierce Transit, Intercity Transit, Jefferson Transit, Skagit Transit, Kitsap Transit, Sound Transit, Mason Transit, Washington State Ferries, King County Water Taxi, and South Lake Union Streetcar 
  • Multiple contact numbers and an ORCA walk-in center info are available on the Sound Transit Regional Reduced Fare Permit website.

Do you need more information about transportation options in the Puget Sound Region?

Find a Ride (Puget Sound Region)

Online resource gateway for transportation options and services in the Puget Sound Region. Transportation options include: public transit, special needs transportation, and community shuttles 

  • Visit the website for real-time search for ride options, plus other tools like a real-time traffic map and Medicaid transportation 
    • Includes a real-time search for ride options, plus other tools like a real-time traffic map and Medicaid transportation.

Do you need to get your driver’s license?

  • Department of Licensing: Steps, study guide and practice test.
  • 911 Driving School: Driving classes and driving tests in 7 languages (Multiple locations available, including Lakewood and Puyallup)
  • Freedom Driving School: Driving classes and driving tests (Multiple locations available, including Lakewood and Puyallup)

Do you need to get your driver’s license back?

Tacomaprobono (formerly Volunteer Legal Services)

Can help with civil legal issues in Pierce County when you cannot afford to hire an attorney. You do not have to be a Pierce County resident to get help with your case.

The Northwest Justice Project

Provides free civil (non-criminal) legal services for people who cannot afford a lawyer in Washington. *Please note that Northwest Justice Project is unable to assist where a license is suspended for failure to pay child support or certain criminal traffic convictions such as DUIs.* If you need your driver's license so that you can work and your license was suspended for one of the following reasons, they may be able to help: 

  • Unpaid traffic fines 
  • Suspension due to a car accident when you were uninsured 
  • You have one or more convictions for driving with a suspended license and you still have unpaid fines even though the suspension period is over 
  • In order to be assisted, the court must have already ruled on your traffic citations.  The court can rule even if you did not come to court.   
  • Call 1-888-201-1014 from 9:15 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. to see if you qualify for assistance

Do you need more information on suspended licenses?

For more information on types of suspensions, hearings, and how to have your license reinstated in the state of Washington, visit the Washington State Department of Licensing website.

Are you low-income or are on public assistance and want to rent a bicycle?

Lime Bikes

To qualify for Lime Access, an individual simply needs to demonstrate eligibility or participation in any state or federally run assistance program. Lime Access members receive a 95% discount on all Lime pedal bike rides and a 50% discount on all Lime-E electric-assist bike and Lime-S electric scooter rides. 

  • Email 
    • Provide the following information:
      • Full Name 
      • Phone Number (the number for the phone you plan to use for LimeBike) 
      • Valid government-issued photo ID 
      • Proof of low-income status (e.g., EBT card, discounted utility bill, or any other state or federally-run assistance program document) 
  • Once you've joined Lime Access, you can pay using cash at one of PayNearMe’s 27,000+ retail locations.  
  • Once qualified for Lime Access, you will receive a PayNearMe payment code. To complete payment: 
    • Take your PayNearMe payment code to a participating payment location. Visit the PayNearMe website for locations.  
    • Show the payment code to the clerk and pay with cash. 
    • Keep your receipt as proof of payment.